Electrophysiologist

delphicdragon

Guest brianala

When I went for my initial consult with my EP I had already had an echocardiogram and a 24-hour holter monitor. We reviewed the results of these tests and he ordered a tilt table test and a follow up.

If you don't have test results to review, I'm not sure what to expect from the visit. They will usually check your vitals and your bp, and they may do an EKG. I think I have had an EKG each time I go to my cardiologist or EP. The EKG only takes a minute or so, but you have to lay down and stay still. They will put several leads on you but I don't remember having to undress for it.

He/She will most likely take a VERY thorough history of your symptoms as far back as your childhood. If you haven't had any tests done yet, you will most likely get an EKG in the office (as brianala said, painless and easy). After my initial EP visit, I was scheduled for a 30 day heart monitor (mine doesn't really have too much faith in the 24 hour ones - our hearts don't perform on command!), an echocardiogram (basically an ultrasound of the heart), a stress echo, and a tilt test (which diagnosed my POTS). You may be sent for bloodwork as well.

Hope everything goes well for you!

UPDATE:

I saw the electrophysiologist today. Good news and bad, I guess. He wanted me to try compression hose, which my Mom has graciously agreed to pay for. (They are EXPENSIVE!!)

He wasn't so sure about the POTS diagnosis, but did a poor man's tilt table test and I failed it miserably. My numbers...

Laying Down - 124/80 pulse 80

Sitting Up - 120/84 pulse 84

Standing - 116/ Palp pulse 120 (Apparently he couldn't feel a diastolic)

So, yeah, I still have florid POTS.

Standing up my hands actually turned dark purple/blue, so he's thinking the compression (thigh high) along with fluids will do the most good. He's also told me that even though I have asthma, it's not as severe as I thought it was, so he's willing to try a selective BB on me- but before we do anything, I'm getting the compression hose and a stress test. (Yippee) Stress test is Monday. I'm starting to worry things might be very wrong because everything is being scheduled SO quickly.

He's a good cardiologist, who I like a whole lot. Thought the EDS/POTS/Allergy to Artificial Butter Flavoring was funny, which I completely agree with. I'm just a zebra!

Sara

Nice to have a good Doctor experience for once. :-D