Allergy Testing And Pots

Angelika_23

Beta-blocker during allergy testing is fine, it won't mess up the results.

The problem is that beta-blockers can sometimes make allergies worse. In the UK you aren't allowed to have injection desensitization treatments for allergies if you are on a beta-blocker at all (increased risk of anaphylactic shock), but I know some forum members are just told to skip a dose on the day of the injection.

Flop

I had an allergist who was fine with BB and injections where I used to live. I moved before I got to start.

My current allergist will not do testing or injections on anyone on a BB. They wanted to do 'new tests' to see what I'm allergic to out here. Well I know it'll be a similar ragweed/mold/pollen so it's not worth it for me to go off my BB. I feel awful and they want me off for days. I can't, especially since I just had tests in January and I'll just deal with seasonal allergies for now.

I would run this by your Cardio/EP (I did) and then verify with your Allergist. It made me feel better knowing my doctors were in sync.

Are you having a scratch/ skin test or a challenge? I just went though this this summer because I wanted to be able to take advil/motrin and I had a very bad reaction to this med or an antibiotic that I was taking at the same time.

Anyway the dr would not let me do the challenge b/c he said on the BB if I had a bad reaction I could die because the medication he would give me to stop the reaction would not work. A skin test would be fine... but if you are getting tested for some kind of medication they make you take a little of it and watch you for a few hours. If you have to go off of thebb it is only for a few days at the most... but I couldn't at the time stop. I hope this makes sense. Good Luck

Sorry, it is skin testing.

So I should be okay for skin testing while on my Toprol XL?

I kind of don't understand why we're doing this. Going off my BB is not an option, so if I'm allergic to the world, what does it matter? I can't have shots while on BB...

Still confused,

Angela

P.S. At least I'll get my bloodwork back today. Maybe that will answer some questions

Since I react so strongly to everything, and couldn't go off antihistamines without a major flare, they just did rast allergy testing-- it's actually a blood test. It was a little helpful for helping me know what to avoid. But the upshot is I just take antihistamines. I did shots as a kid and they never helped. I'm allergic to pollens, mold, dust, and any creature with fur.

Well, I got through it okay. I have some spots on my arm that got bigger than quarters, and won't go down though. Hopefully by morning. I put Benadryl cream on them.

I am also allergic to everything. But, since I am on BB we can't do anything about it. I am not sure why we had to do the stupid testing. I mean, how helpful is it to know I am allergic to most everything if there is nothing we can do about it?

Glad I get to start my Zyrtec tomorrow morning!!!

Okay, now I have a bump the size of an egg on my arm. All the quarter sized spots have gotten together. It has been growing since I got home. I put Benadryl on it, but it still itches and is still growing. It is warm to the touch as well. Should I be concerned about this?

Why can't anything go normally for me?

Angela

Ouch! I wish I knew what to tell you. Do you have a doctor on call? Or does your insurance or local hospital have a nurse's line? I feel like the nurses lines have always given me pretty sound advice.

Amy (Mrs. Burschman)