Another Question For The Ladies...

Janey

I feel embarrassed to talk about sex on here, but as sexual dysfunction has started to become one of my main symptoms and is threatening to ruin my relationship, so I need to talk about it!

Over the years that I've had dysautonomia I've gone from extremes of lubrication "down there" to none at all (and it has nothing to do with how aroused I am mentally/emotionally). At the moment I'm going through a particularly bad dry spell and I'm wondering if it correlates with other symptoms or parts of your nervous system? For eg, does vaginal dryness mean intestinal dryness too? Does it mean if my vagina isn't secreting the lubrication it needs to function that my intestines aren't secreting the liquids they need to function either? I know it's a wacky theory, but it seems to correlate.

Any help or advice with this would be much appreciated. It's so sensitive down there that the thought of using lubrication is almost too much!

Janey

Sounds pretty typical to me. Lubrication is your best bet until they can figure out why (it will simply make it more comfortable.) I had an endocrinologist do a hormone check on me (weekly bloodwork for LH, FsH, Estrogen and Progesterone and they ALL came back as low, he said "barely adequate." My OB/GYN put me on hormone replacement therapy and honestly, it was like someone had flipped a switch: I was happier (moodwise), retained water better, had more energy and more drive and ability (think newlyweds :wub: ) Then the endo found out about it and pulled the plug. :angry:

He is currently testing another hormone panel for me, but after that is done I intend to go on the BC pill this time. It may do the same thing as the HRT for me. (Or it may make everything worse and bring back my migraines. :unsure: )

This is one of those issues that really toasts my muffins! If you were a man, this would be a serious symptom, but since we are women we get that pat on the leg, half a smile and are told to "just relax."

I'm not crazy, or in need of therapy...I need the proper hormones!...and YES, there IS something wrong causing this! And I DON'T want to be this way and I was NOT this way before!

You've hit the nail right on the head! If a man was having this it would be a "serious problem" but because we're having it, it doesn't matter. So annoying! My boyfriend sees it in the same way - he'd be much more sympathetic if I had a penis and couldn't get it up.

Janey

This issue has come up on various forms here on the forum many times over the years... you're not alone, if that helps at all (well, probably doesn't help all that much... but misery loves company, eh? :angry: ).

Being exhausted all the time makes it very difficult for most with chronic illness to have a "normal" sex life (whatever THAT is :unsure: ). I have a friend whose husband has Chrones and she had a pituitary tumor. She used to joke that they'd never have kids b/c she was too exhausted to have sex and he was always in the bathroom. Quick side note to that joke--they now have 3 kids :) They are happier with the kids but even MORE exhausted. :wub:

Nina