Increased Symptoms Or Can Beta Blockers Need To Be Increased In Dosage?

Since I've been getting up earlier I'm starting to take my Beta Blocker in the morning, after lunch, and after dinner (3 times a day, 20mg each = 60mg).

When I was getting up later I'd take it around 11am and 6pm and be OK. But if I'm up at 7 or 8am I have to take it then, 1pm and 7pm or so to get the same 'effect.'

Maybe it's getting up earlier that is a bit harder on my system? And can you grow used to a dose of a BB? I was told 40-60mg is very low, anyway, so I need to take a dose that actually helps. I just am hoping my POTS isn't getting worse. I hate having to take an additional amount of any kind of medication.

Also - does anyone know how 'dangerous' it is really if you miss a morning dose? Like on the days I'm unwell and sleep in? The bottle says avoid missing a dose, blah blah blah, but us POTS folks aren't taking it as heart attack survivors.

Thanks!

As many studies and posts will attest to, POTS has a definite circadian variation: (in English) it will be worse in the morning. Your HR and BP normally fluctuate during the day and night, if it doesn't you've got bigger problems than POTS! The BB you are on is fairly short acting, so if your day is longer, you may need more. Everything we take is "off-label" so some of the warnings won't apply for our usage of the drugs. My GP and allergist say it is OK for me to skip my day's dose on my allergy shot days (so tachy it hurts, but no more than it did before starting the meds.) You know your own body best, judge the dose by how you feel and what is OK'd by your docs.

Hi,

I was also wondering if you had taken in consideration that you moved a couple timezones, and that your "clock" is probably messed up and resetting itself. Also, I could see myself requiring different dosages of meds based on living in different locations/environments. So, possibly for your body to work optimally, you may need a larger dose in your new environment???

No idea, just thoughts...

:)