Allergic Reactions & Beta Blockers - Should I Switch - Off To Doctor This Week

My current BB, Inderal (Propranonal - Generic) is working well. I'd say my current med mix makes me 50-60% more functional, and that's the difference between being able to work PT or not. A huge deal.

I've been researching online because I get random allergic reactions that can't be pinpointed. My most recent was eating pancakes - hives, upset tummy, diarrhea and I had to take a Benadryl which fortunately calmed it down.

I have no food allergies per my test, but I don't eat nuts because of a severe hive outbreak from Cashews. Why eat them if there's an issue, right?

I carry an EpiPen just in case, but I read they are somewhat dangerous with BBs. I also read that BBs can make Anaphylactic reactions worse (and technically my hives + GI issues = Anaphylactic reaction).

So. My current BB is great, I'm on a low dose, and it's helping a lot. My allergy symptoms are about the same as when I was not on it. My allergist advised the lowest dose I can get benefit from. Right now it's twice a day, but I can tell it's wearing off quicker so may need to add a dose soon.

All this online reading has made me anxious and I wonder if it's worth looking into a selective BB (or maybe only if I notice my allergic reactions increasing). It is worth bringing up to my doctor this week (she's one I only see every few months). Do any of you with allergies take BBs? What do you take and are they effective for your tachycardia? What types of selective BBs are more safe for us allergy sufferers?

I was started on a beta-blocker cautiously as I have asthma. My cardiologist chose Bisoprolol as being a BB that was cardio selective and least likely to cause problems with my asthma and allergies.

I have come off the BB this year because my allergy problems were getting worse. And also because I really wanted to have desensitization therapy which you can't have if you are on a beta-blocker.

I have managed to switch from a beta-blocker to a new med that is being used in the UK called Ivabradine (Procorolan). I don't think that it has been approved by the FDA yet but it might be one to consider in the future.

Flop

I have allergies and am on 20mg Propranolol once a day. I am taking allergy shots and skip my BB on that day. A BB will make it more difficult for an epi-pen to work and may make a stronger reaction more likely (the data is iffy on this one.) I have an epi-pen for my allergy shots. I would not be functional without my BB, it has made a huge difference for me. I hate the days that I am off it and remember what life was like before it...each day off, my HR gets higher and higher.

You say you don't have allergies, did they RAST test you or skin test you? RAST testing is not very reliable.

Hi, Firewatcher -

Glad you wrote because my appointment was rescheduled so I'm very upset. It was supposed to be moved to August, verified this, and they called today and said they couldn't see me until November. :)

I have the 'normal' allergies from a skin test. Pollen, Dust Mites, some Molds, Ragweed, etc. I take Zyrtec and during the worst flare-ups a nose spray like Nasacort. I also take Zantac for my random hives.

I had a skin test for foods, and it was clear. Even though I ate cashews and got hives before (was it the cashews, a coincidence? who knows).

I still get random hives, but less frequently with the Zantac.

I was late on my BB today and COULD NOT FUNCTION. I felt horrible. I suppose there is rebound tachycardia, but this was very bad. Probably 180 standing and kinda of weak. So I need my BB badly.

I do have an Epi-Pen (which can be less effective), but I'm on Propranonal 20mg 2 to 3 times a day which I was told is a low dose. I really need the BB so I guess I shouldn't worry myself too much over the random hives. The Zyrtec still seems to be mostly working for the normal allergies. AT least well enough.

In the UK there is no-way that you could have allergy shots if you were taking a beta-blocker. They made me wait 2 months from getting off the BB before I was allowed to start my desensitization shots. The immunologist also wouldn't give me an epi-pen whilst I was on a BB he was worried that i would have unopposed alpha stimulation and shoot my BP sky high and stroke out. However I think he was really over reacting. My EP said epi would be fine so long as I called an ambulance immediately so I could be closely monitored. THey did give me an adrenaline inhaler whilst I was on the BB.

Flop

In the UK there is no-way that you could have allergy shots if you were taking a beta-blocker. They made me wait 2 months from getting off the BB before I was allowed to start my desensitization shots. The immunologist also wouldn't give me an epi-pen whilst I was on a BB he was worried that i would have unopposed alpha stimulation and shoot my BP sky high and stroke out. However I think he was really over reacting. My EP said epi would be fine so long as I called an ambulance immediately so I could be closely monitored. THey did give me an adrenaline inhaler whilst I was on the BB.

Flop

My EP and Allergist both said an Epi would be fine, but to call an ambulance if I ever have to use it. One Epi might not completely 'halt' that reaction but any further would have to be given while being closely monitored is pretty much what I was told.

My Allergist did say to keep my BB dose as low as possible, but it's either 2 or 3 20mg of Propranonal a day which is a very small dose. Many people take 3 times that much on a regular basis, so I'm glad such a small dose works.

It does seem like there is no definitive proof that a BB may CAUSE a stronger allergic reaction (thanks for telling me this, Firewatcher. I looked it up and feel better it's not a proven cause and effect). I am so much better on a BB, I'll stick with it for now. It's been 3 months and has made a huge difference in my life.