Surge Of Salvia In Throat & Gasping For Air While Falling Alseep

jjb

Seems as though many of us have these unusual symptoms.

I am wondering if anyone has these.

First, lately when I fall asleep I get a sensation of a surge of saliva secreting in my lower throat. I wake up choking. It only occurs as I am dozing off.

Similarly, at times as I am dozing off, I get a sensation of not being able to breath and wake up gasping. I do not snore (that I know of).

In terms of the secretions, this can occur with autonomic seizures, and in general seizures can be triggered by that period of falling asleep. Would anyone happen to know if this type of thing could be autonomic activation w/o actual seizure activity? Is it a normal thing ... or another autonomic quirk?

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen,

Just my opinion, but I've had things like that, and my PCP has finally talked my into a sleep apnea study. I know there are several of us here that suffer from it. But I think you need to talk to your PCP about, one way or another. How scary~ Hope you figure it out soon!

Cheers,

Jana

Thanks Jana. I have figured a sleep study is in the cards ... still, I am wondering what is exactly occuring when this happens.

The breath thing ... I can see how that might be CSA (central sleep apnea) but I curious as to why dozing of would trigger as opposed to other periods of sleep. And of course wondering what is the deal with the saliva surges in throat.

So when is your sleep study Jana?

Hi Jen,

Just my opinion, but I've had things like that, and my PCP has finally talked my into a sleep apnea study. I know there are several of us here that suffer from it. But I think you need to talk to your PCP about, one way or another. How scary~ Hope you figure it out soon!

Cheers,

Jana

The only answer I can think of as to why you notice it only when you're dozing is that during sleep, you wouldn't be as likely to notice strange things going on...I was supposed to have my sleep study about two weeks ago, but then my boyfriend was diagnosed with prostate cancer, so I've had to push it back until the end of July after he has had surgery and recuperated. I'll sure let you know, though. And I may try to sneak it in before his surgery, which is July 17th.

Hey, I've had this problem you described but it doesn't happen regularly. I've also had a sleep study which was "normal." The doc did see these hypogognic jerks, though. It's when you're just about asleep but your body jerks you awake. It's so annoying and it happens more if I'm more symptomatic or tired. He said it was a normal reaction to being tired. The saliva choking feeling is kind of like that for me, except when I jerk awake I do feel like I'm drowning.

This is the same sleep doc who told me that my fatigue might be due to staying in bed too much...................................................... :rolleyes: