article: MS & vaccines

opus88

Just passing along an interesting bit of info for those concerned about or dealing with MS. Click on the BBC News link at the bottom for more.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

MS, Hepatitis Vaccine Links Found

People who are vaccinated against hepatitis B are at an increased risk of developing multiple sclerosis (MS), according to a study of UK patients.

American public health experts discovered a link between the vaccine and MS when they examined records of more than 1,500 people. The research team does not know if the vaccine causes MS of those already susceptible to the disease or if it speeds up the onset.

Hepatitis B is a virus that could lead to liver problems, and possibly, liver failure. It usually is passed by blood contact, but the virus also is present in saliva and other bodily fluids. UK doctors encourage patients who are at an increased risk for the disease to get immunized. Medical professionals, prison staff and inmates, people who share drug needles and those with several sexual partners are among those at the highest risk of getting hepatitis B.

In the 1990s, there was some evidence that supported the link between the vaccine and MS; however, other studies disputed this. Still, the idea spurred further research.

In this study, researchers looked at UK patients diagnosed with MS from 1993-2000 and compared hepatitis B vaccination records of the 163 MS patients to about 1,600 control group patients without the disease. Investigators estimated there was a three-fold increase in the incidence of MS within three years of being administered the shot.

Liver disease groups warn that the study' results may have holes because vaccination records for the control group may not have included workplace vaccinations. If so, then the incidence of MS would go down significantly.

Despite the controversy, experts say that this is an important study that needs to be considered in future research.

BBC News September 14, 2004

Interesting article. My girlfriend's son has MS that was detected shortly after graduation from college. He always thought that it was caused by a Hep B vaccination. I also had Hep B vacination because I worked at a school. As far as I know there isn't any link betweet MS and dysautonomia, correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, I don't think there is a link between the two. However, many people with dys do get tested for MS, since some of the symptoms are the same. Some are even given misdiagnoses of MS. There may be a few who truly have both MS and dys, but it seems that would be more of a coincidence than a relationship. Then again, I'm no expert on that.