How Does Federal Disability Effect Federal Loans?

I just need a confirmation of the law, I can't seem to ever do proper research on laws because it's all hard to understand.

I can't take out federal loans while on disability, correct? So I wouldn't be able to attend my expensive private college. Are there programs for disabled people for attending private schools, like financial assistance?

I'm just worried because I'm not doing well right now and it'd make my boyfriend's life a lot easier if we had more income, but I can't seem to figure out how to help him out because I'm in my last year of private school. I'm pretty sure they won't let me take out loans to pay for school if they know I can't pay them back. Do you guys have any info on this or ideas?

Tuition for a semester is like 7k so saving up is impossible.

This isn't so much legal advice as it is about the disability system. I don't know if you would be eligible for student loans; I know you would not be eligible to ever have them discharged due to disability if you are currently disabled and taking the loans out. In general, it would not be good to take loans out if you can't pay them back. Student loans do not qualify under bankruptcy and the fed's can and will garnish your wages/disability earnings to get the money back. So, be sure you can afford to pay them back if you do borrow money for school.

The bigger issue is that if you are disabled and receiving payment from SSDI (or some other disabilty service) you may have a hard time proving you can't work if you can take classes. If you take classes they may terminate your disability payments.

I take part-time online classes only, so I'm not sure that counts as being "able" to go to school. I also have a history of even having to drop online classes due to my issues.

I definitely wouldn't take out the loans while I was on the disability---no clue if that is even possible. But in fine print, on the loans I have, if I am deemed disabled by a doc the loans go away until I can work again. So that is an option on the loans I have right now. I just have no clue if there are government programs available to disabled students... probably only for state schools.

The more I think about it, the more I'm answering my own question... I guess there is no way to get government supplemental income while going to a private school...

Melissa,

I certainly am not familiar with your situation. Are you getting SSI or SS benefits? If so, I suggest that you contact the SSA to see if you are eligilbe for any benefits under the Ticket to Work program or PASS. Also, check with your state Vocational Rehabilitation Agency. All these agencies are designed to provide assistance to disable people that will enable them to get self-sufficient. Perhaps if you can work after completing your studies that would be a benefit and might encourage assistance.

Please check out ssa.gov and then look for information about the Ticket and the PASS program.

Good luck and please don't give up.

Lois

I would contact your university. There are tons of people going to school with disabilities. You may even qualify for some grant money. You can go to school while on disability. Check the Federal website. Don't know which agency but there is a list. Good luck and good for you. I think its great to be moving in that direction. Miriam