Chest Pain...ugh

Hey Everyone-

I haven't been posting as much as I've been feeling more like myself lately, but last night I got really scared. I've been going to the gym regularly for almost 2 months. I don't do anything strenuous, about 3 miles on the recumbent bike and some sit-ups. Weights are a no-no because of the EDS. Well yesterday I thought I'd do some time on the treadmill. I picked the pace up to a brisk walk - did that for about .3 of a mile, then kicked it up a little for a slow run. My knees started complaining a bit, but I was okay until severe left sided chest pain hit. It radiated all down my arm and I was apparently quite pale. When I got home I took my blood pressure. I usually run at 105/60 sitting and my BP was 130/85 standing and then 121/101 sitting.

I had just had an echo, and my heart was found to be structurally sound. My cardiologist thinks this is a pulled muscle, because I was deconditioned, but I somehow doubt that. If it was muscular, wouldn't it still hurt today? I think I dropped out my pulse pressure and the pain was the heart squeezing without appropriate blood in it. I've never had a reaction like this on the recumbent bike, even when I push myself. What should I do? I want to keep exercising but the last thing I need is to be rushed to the ER from the gym. I was thinking of getting a stress test, but that will only tell me what's happening when I get the chest pain, not why it's happening. Does anyone else get chest pains like this? I've had them when I am upright too long, but never when exercising.

Sara

As someone who's had chest pain, I'd argue for a stress test-- that way they can see if there is at least a rhythm disturbance that could be dangerous. You could also ask for a holter monitor , wear it to work out, and press the button if you have symptoms. I've heard that the holter isn't as good as a regular ekg, as it only has 2-3 leads, but would show something flagrant. You could also bring your bp cuff to the gym. In other words, you want to capture the rhythm and your vitals when you're having an epsiode.

I have at least three different types of chest pain-- one from my bp not rising adequately during exercise; one triggered by autonomic swings that might be causing vasospasm; one from my ribs/pecs. I can't always distinguish them. The first one improved a lot with a combo of midodrine, florinef , and compression. Florinef really helped me to turn the corner.

But generally to get the docs to respond, they want empirical evidence of the problem, so the more you can document, the better.