Wheelchair Cooling Pad?

roxie

Hi! I see in the "what helps" section that cooling vest may help potsy when they are in hot whether. I am wondering if anyone has tried the wheelchair cooling pads? If so, do they work?

Later this month I'm going to an event that I'll need to be outside for a few hours and am thinking about getting a wheelchair pad

~bananas

Thanks for the link EM. I have been on that site many times, but either never noticed that or I forgot! Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Do you find it uncomfortable to sit on? I fell on my tailbone several years ago, and it has been sore ever since. I have to use a special cushion on my wheelchair to keep my coccydenia from flairing up. Maybe I could just use one cool pack and have it only under my thighs.

Rachel

Looking at the pictures on the coolsport website it looks like the wheelchair pad is designed to go on the back of the chair against your torso rather than underneath you. Rachel, as you already have a vest I guess that it wouldn't be much different to wearing the vest. However the idea of making your own cover to put the coolpacks into is good - you could make something to go under your thighs or even on your lap.

flop

Rachel,

You don't sit ON it (I also need a cushion b/c of loose hips). It straps to the back of the chair, and you lean back against it. I find it very helpful, especially when I don't want to waer the full vest, b/c I overheat just by having my back leaning against the seat. If you want me to explain how I made my own, I'd be happy to help.

Good luck!

Erin

Rachel,

You don't sit ON it (I also need a cushion b/c of loose hips). It straps to the back of the chair, and you lean back against it. I find it very helpful, especially when I don't want to waer the full vest, b/c I overheat just by having my back leaning against the seat. If you want me to explain how I made my own, I'd be happy to help.

Good luck!

Erin

EarthMother raises her hand up high! Yes please!! Can you explain a bit how to make one of these? If I saw one up close I may be able to figure it out. So if anyone has any tips/tricks, I'd love to take a stab at this as a DIY project.

~EM

Haha! :lol: Oh, okay! I saw the picture and I thought that there were cooling pads in the white wheelchair cushion as well as on the back of the chair.

There is also a large cool pad (looks like a blanket) on the site. That would be great to drape over my lap while sitting in my chair. It's pretty expensive, though. :( But, wow, with that, my vest, a neck wrap, and a popsicle, I might just be able to sit outside on a summer day!