Tomorrow - Outpatient Appt. At Vanderbilt

Well, tomorrow is my appointment at Vanderbilt. I'm really nervous. I have the autonomic tests in the morning, and will be seeing the dr. in early afternoon (Dr. Cherdak). I'm really anxious to see what she has to say, and what treatment plan we come up with.

For those of you who have been to Vanderbilt for an outpatient visit, any tips?

Any possibility I might also get to participate in a research study based on my outpatient visit, or would I need to apply for that separately?

Thanks for any input!!

Donna

Hi Donna,

I hope your appointment goes well. I was at Vanderbilt about a year ago, and it was a very positive experience. Everyone there was very kind and very helpful.

If you want to participate in research, you'll have to apply for that separately. You can ask your doctor if you would be a good candidate. You can find information for applying for a research study on their website, but I'm sure that someone there could also give you the proper paperwork.

As for tips:

- Bring a written list of questions you have for the doctor

- Bring snacks and water for your time there.

- While you are in the examination room waiting for the doctor, get on the computer and sign up for an online account with Vanderbilt. You start the process on that computer, and then talk in person with the person who checks you out to finalize the registration process. This will allow you to have access to your medical records and lab results online.

Rachel

I saw dr. raj when I went to vanderbilt. I was naive and didn't ask what tests they were doing. I left without getting a tilt table done, which was a mistake. I'd inquire what tests they are doing before you get there. If you think a tilt table is important insist on one.

Not sure what symptoms you are presenting with, I do think that matters. I typed everything up and made a copy to give to the doctor and kept one for me as a reference. Also their research is big on salt loading and blood volume. That's great if you are primarily hypotensive and fainting a lot. That wasn't so good for me.

My tests at vanderbilt showed I was hypertensive. They didn't even address it with me, I wasn't knowledgeable enough when I went there to know that hypertension takes you in a different direction with dysautonomias.

My recent tilt table confirmed and duplicated the syncope or pre syncope that I've been having most of my life. That only happened after first 20 min phase of the tilt was over and they started the second 20 with sublingual nitro. Thru out the test I had hypertension and tachycardia, then right before syncope my heart rate spiked suddenly and then my blood pressure dropped suddenly in seconds and then I passed out.

These results confirmed the dysautonmia, but I'm still working on the cause, primary or secondary. I will have to have more testing done to determine why my symptoms are happening. A tilt table sooner may have gotten me to treatment faster.

So, don't just give yourself up to the doctor god's, like I did. Know what you want and make sure you get it.

Love to hear how it goes and how your symptoms are presenting.

;) arizona girl