Zantac/mca

Zantac is an H2 blocker.

THere are 4 Histamine receptors (that they know of now): H1, H2, H3, and H4

H1 is the one responsible for most allergic reactions, H1 blockers are commonly known as anti-histamines (though they are all histamine blockers)

H2 is the one responsible for primarily stomach acids and some other reactions

H3 and H4 are not yet completely understood.

By taking H1 and H2 blockers you are not blocking the release of histamine, just blocking it at the receptor and causing it to not cause it's reaction.

Mast Cells release histamine by degranulation (the cell sort-of falls apart) Singulair is a mast cell stabilizer and stops the cells or decreases the ability for the cells to degranulate.

Zantac is an H2 blocker.

THere are 4 Histamine receptors (that they know of now): H1, H2, H3, and H4

H1 is the one responsible for most allergic reactions, H1 blockers are commonly known as anti-histamines (though they are all histamine blockers)

H2 is the one responsible for primarily stomach acids and some other reactions

H3 and H4 are not yet completely understood.

By taking H1 and H2 blockers you are not blocking the release of histamine, just blocking it at the receptor and causing it to not cause it's reaction.

Mast Cells release histamine by degranulation (the cell sort-of falls apart) Singulair is a mast cell stabilizer and stops the cells or decreases the ability for the cells to degranulate.

Good description of the H's, Jennifer. I never heard of the H-3's and 4's. The combo of H-1's and H-2's can be very helpful in preventing MCAD flares. Singulair isn't a mast cell stabilizer, it's a leuketreine inhibitor. Here's a brief description:

"Singulair is a leukotriene (loo-koe-TRY-een) inhibitor. Leukotrienes are chemicals your body releases when you breathe in an allergen (such as pollen). These chemicals cause swelling in your lungs and tightening of the muscles around your airways, which can result in asthma symptoms."

Singulair combined with the H-1's and H-2's also helps prevent MCAD symptoms, esp. asthma-type symptoms. I can get relief from breathing problems within 10 minutes of taking a pill.

A mast cell stabilizer that is regularly prescribed for MCAD is gastrocrom. I understand it is a vial of liquid medication. I don't take it, but maybe others who do (like Miriam!) can comment on it.

Julie