Tachycardia...

cordellia

a healthful hello to all,

the last time i posted a question--i received a great number of helpful responses.

hopeful that you can offer me a bit of guidance/input concerning my latest dilemma...

for the past week i have been staying at a spa--nothing posh...just a sweet little place in the

the polish mountains. was feeling quite good--relaxed... even managed a bit of exercise...

though my heart monitor was beeping with nearly movement... i actually felt energetic...

buoyed by my new found stamina, i was lulled into a false sense of healthfulness....

i felt nearly normal... and then today (while seated and thoroughly relaxed) tachycardia...

generally when i experience an elevated heart rate (at times in excess of 200 BPM) it

is a short lived episode and my heart rate quickly returns to my normal baseline. this time was

different... the tachycardia continued unabated for about 10 minutes (now i know from reading various posts

that 10 minutes is inconsequential compared to the episodes that so many of you have experienced) but for me

it was a novel and frightening occurrence. i cannot help but wonder if this a precursor to a new form

of POTS for me...

eventually--after lying quietly and continual rounds of deep breathing my heart rate gradually returned to

baseline. however, now with every movement (no matter how minor) my heart rate jumps 30--40 BPM.

a few steps and i am tachycardic... drinking a glass of water, raising my arms slightly, sitting up in bed...

am trying to summon the strength to pack my bags and go home...

this is the first time that i have travelled alone in years... being here, on my own, was such a major step for me.

now i am fearful and apprehensive...

an appointment is scheduled with my EP this summer in the US... but was seeking answers about onset and

progression before july!

my best to all of you.

peace,

cordelia

It was a big step. Congratulations for being able to take the trip, Cordelia. Sometimes our heart spikes can really be a trigger for us to spiral down into a worry vortex. There could be an infinite number of reasons why you had a spell of tachycardia. It's actually not uncommon for this to happen during meditation or deep relaxation, strange as that may sound. Could be the sun, new foods, you name it.

If it seems to persist, or seems very different than other times when you had it, you may want to just get a general doctor's once over until you can see your EP this summer. Something to settle your mind and let you get back to enjoying the new possibilities this trip has opened up for you!

Good thoughts your way,

~EM

I would do exactly what you are describing with SVT. Every movement, turning over in bed, just the slightest movement and my heart would pound. It was completely different than what I experience with pots. I had ablation to fix my SVT and it really helped. It did nothing for my pots tachy because it comes from the sinus node and my sinus node was not ablated. I am also certain that my SVT was hormonal. I would get it at the same time every month and it would last for a few night. Mine always happened when I was laying down in the middle of the night!

how splendid to know that there are strangers who reach across the continents to lend kindness and reassurance.

thank you for your insights and counsel...

heading back to krakow today--the slightest motion still results in tachycardia... will talk with a local doctor there...

aab, i too believe that there is a hormonal component in my case... will explore this avenue with my endocrinologist.

this weekend is labour day weekend in poland-- i will labour to find enlightenment in all of this...

be well.

cordelia

You mentioned you were in the Polish mountains -- were you vacationing at a higher elevation than you usually live at? I find that an increase in elevation of more than about 1,500 - 2,000 feet of what I'm used to noticeably increases my tachycardia. Very high elevations can actually make me quite sick. I believe it has something to do with there being less oxygen in the air.

I'm sorry you had to cut your vacation short, but as others have said it was still really good that you tried. You just have to keep trying - remember, you had a few pleasant days before this happened. You wouldn't want to have missed out on those few nice vacation days! I hope your EP can help you get back on your feet again.