Got Prescription For Wheelchair...

I made lots of phone calls once I got the script from my doctor.

I called the insurance company and asked how the process goes.

They put me in touch with the medical group that would handle it.

I called the medical group and asked how the approval was coming along.

They kept me posted and also put me in touch with the medical supply company.

I think all told it was about a month.

But I did start over once in the middle of the process, because they approved a "standard chair" and I told them there was no way I'd be able to handle the weight, and I would need a "light weight" chair. So they gave me the code I would need for my doctor and with a few more faxes we were on our way again!

Unfortunately I lost my chair yesterday, due to insurance changes. But this time, with new insurance, I am buying my own chair (and charging it against my high dedictable) and I should have the chair by the 20th.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I made lots of phone calls once I got the script from my doctor.

I called the insurance company and asked how the process goes.

They put me in touch with the medical group that would handle it.

I called the medical group and asked how the approval was coming along.

They kept me posted and also put me in touch with the medical supply company.

I think all told it was about a month.

But I did start over once in the middle of the process, because they approved a "standard chair" and I told them there was no way I'd be able to handle the weight, and I would need a "light weight" chair. So they gave me the code I would need for my doctor and with a few more faxes we were on our way again!

Unfortunately I lost my chair yesterday, due to insurance changes. But this time, with new insurance, I am buying my own chair (and charging it against my high dedictable) and I should have the chair by the 20th.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks EarthMother, that info is very helpful. My doctor did write a prescription for an ultralight-weight. I'm really hoping to get this. :) I have been stuck at home for so long now because I can't get out anymore. I did manage to get out of the house to go to my doctors appointment yesterday, but after walking only 50 feet ( which was pushing it ) the nurse said my heart rate was 160. The most I can do without making myself really sick is getting around my house, and I have to rest just from doing that. I am really hoping for the ultra light weight because I'm only around 97 pounds. I hope my insurance will cover it. I have medicaid/molina . I will have to call them like you suggested and see what they say. Thanks again for your help, I'll try to keep everyone posted.

Candace

Hey everyone,

I ended up taking my script to the medical supply store. When my mom and I got there the lady beind the desk immediately recognized my mom and vise versa. They went to high school together. So the day after we dropped the script off, she called me and told me that the chair that my doctor prescribed was going to be really hard to get because my insurance was going to make me jump through hoops to get it. She told me that I had to have my doctor do all these things like writing a letter, having an annual script, and a couple other things. So by the time I got off the phone I was already fighting back tears. I've been so much worse lately and have basically been confined to my house. Well, about 10 minutes later, I hear the phone ring. It's for me, and it's my mom's friend from the medical supply store. She tells me that she actually found another chair, not the exact same one that my doctor ordered but only 2lbs difference in weight. She said that because the other one was a custom chair, insurance was going to make it really hard for me. But this new one she found, was actually listed as a standard chair. But the only difference was 2 lbs! I asked her if my insurance would cover it, and she said they did, no problem. They will call me this week when it comes in. She told me that because the other one would have taken 6 to 10 months to get approved for she thought this one would make more sense. How awsome is that? what an answer to prayer :angry:

Candace