Procrit

I have gotten some relief from procrit during the past few months. It has helped prevent near faints. I am going to have my third injection (I get it monthly, not sure of the dose).

My doctor is now concerned about the longer term of effects of procrit. My hematocrit (?) is not 37.

My doctor wants me to see a hematologist to discuss the effects.

Here are my questions:

1. What dosage are you taking?

2. Frequency of the dosage?

3. Strength of the dosage?

4. Hematocrit levels? How frequently are they tested?

5. Who administers the procrit? Oncology center? internal medicine? cardiologist? self-administered?

6. Do you get a prescription for it so that it costs less than if you got it at a specialized center like oncology center in hospital.

My questions might not be crystal clear, but I hope you get my drift.

Thanks

Lois

Hi,

I know that this is likely going to be one of my next trials to find something helpful for everything, but I too do not know much about it. I am interested in anyones personal stories. I know I have looked it up some before, but it has been a while. I need to do more research again... :blink:

Good Luck! :angry:

Lois,

Dr. Grubb recommend the med, but the prescription was actually written by my local pcp. I filled the script at my local grocery store pharmacy. They had to order the med as it isn't one they keep stocked, but it wasn't a problem getting it.

The one difficulty is that it has to be kept refrigerated. If you need to travel, whether for pleasure or for a doctors appointment, you have to carry along a cooler to keep the bottle(s) in.

I don't remember what my hemoglobin levels were or what the target level was. I was only on Procrit for a month and a half, so that was never something we had to be really concerned about. I think my levels were only tested at the beginning and once during treatment.

Rachel