Spectracell And Nutrit. Deficiencies?

mkoven

My current pcp, who is interested in ans issues thought it might be good to see if I have any nutritional deficiencies, so ordered a test called the spectracell. it apparently tests your white blood cells, not the serum level, as, theoretically this really measures what your cells have absorbed. but I can't tell how serious this test is, or if it's sort of fringey.

anyway, i showed deficienies in niacin, b12, selenium, and coQ10. the funny thing is i already take 200mgs of coq10!

anyone else have knowledge of opinions? I'm happy to take some supplements if it will help something, I just don't know what to make of the test, as it doesn't seem to be commonly used. on the other hand, most docs aren't necessarily interested in supplementation...

Spectracell is the name of the lab that ran your tests and they have a website where they explain what their tests mean. You'd have to google it since I can't remember exactly what the website name is .. they have a large selection of labs.

I'm not totally up on CoQ10, but are you taking the one in oil ? They're still learning about CoQ10. Most parkinson's patients are told to take 1200 mg a day. I was told to take 100 mg twice a day and raise it up to 1200 mg a day to see if it helped. I haven't gotten past 200 mg twice a day and I can't say I've noticed an improvement yet, but I've had other issues to deal with ...

Sounds like you have a great doctor though ...