Question About Sleep Apnea

bizbiz

Since my pregnancy (when all my POTS symptoms started) I have found there have been occasions where I have woken up gasping for breath.

I know this sounds like sleep apnea and that I would have to have a sleep study done to get it diagnosed, but what I would like to know is: is sleep apnea a symptom of POTS? Could it be anxiety? How is it treated (if at all), and does treatment make you feel better POTS wise?

There are a number of us here with both. It may be a coincidence, unless you have eds, which causes my throat to go floppy. Ask your doc for a sleep study--best way to know. Apnea is serious and is rough on the ans of people without pots. Over time, it trashes your system. I find apneasupport.org a great resource.

And should you have apnea, the most effective treatment is cpap (continuous positive airway pressure). But getting a sleep study is the fist step to see what's even going on. Apnea is diagnosed if you have more than 5 "episodes"/hour-- of not breathing for more than 10 seconds, or of very shallow breating. They also determine if your oxygen drops, or if the episodes coincide with any changes innheart rhythm or brain activity. Apnea can also be either a mechanical problem (your throat tissues can't hold themselves open) or central (your brain forgets to send the signal to breathe). It's usually a mechanical problem. And although the stereotype is that only overweight middle-aged men with thick necks can have apnea, that is quite incorrect. There are lots of people out there who have it for any number of reasons. A good sleep doc will look at the anatomy of your nose and throat to see if there is some narrowness/blockage. I also have a very narrow/crowded throat, in addition to eds, that makes the tissues floppier.

In the end, if you do have apnea, cpap takes some getting used to, but it is a very effective treatment. But some people have a hard time getting used to sleeping with a mask. I took to it pretty quickly and was just so pleased to have a significant improvement in my migraines, acheyness, and energy levels. I was a light snorer, but my husband never noticed me not breathe. I'm 42, female, with a relatively normal sized neck. But I did comlpain to docs several times about waking up gasping for air. And I got dismissed multiple times! I also used to wake up constantly to pee-- another clasic sign, and wake up with the most wretched/wanna die headaches. It turns out that I stopped breathing on average 7 times an hour (mild apnea), but each time was an average of 23 seconds, with as long as 53 secnds. During rem, I had 49 episodes/hour--because when you dream, your body deactivates your muscles even more, givint floppy throat tissues even less support. And my oxygen was dropping into the 80s. I still have some sleep issues, but I now only have to pee once a night, migraines still there but NOTHING like before, and no more gasping or snoring. I also used to have nightmares of being strangled and waking up in a panic--classic! Calling that a psychological issue would totally miss the boat-- my body was appropriately responding to being suffocated! All that stopped with cpap.

Some people can lessen apnea by sleeping on their sides, or with a device that keeps their jaw in a position where it is less likely to let the airway close. In my case, I already have jaw issues, and shoulder and hip issues that make either option not good.

the upshot is that you can only know if you get tested. and if there is a problem , you should treat it. you'll not only feel better in the immediate, you'll be taking important steps to protect your brain and heart. Oxygen and breathing are good for you! I really didn't think my test would show anything. But getting diagnosed and treated has been one of the best things I've done this year, healthwise.Okay, rant over! Let us know. And if your doc tells you that you couldn't have apnea because you don't look the part, demand to see someone else. No sleep doctor would ignore that complaint. Waking up gasping is classic.

Michele