Bruising, Pots, Possible Edg

goldicedance

I've had Dr. G as well as a rheumatologist tell me that I have symptoms of EDS - hypermobile.

Last week, I had a terrible fall where I plopped down smack on front of my leg (from knee downward), somewhat twist my ankle, and land on the floor. I was extremely fortunate that I did not bang my head into our glass, brass, and metal front doors. I guess I did not break anything since I can still walk on it albeit with pain.

I have the most horrendous bruise on my leg--it goes from just under my knee cap to my toes. Right now it is still in the very swollen phase and beginning to turn lovely shades of blue, black etc starting at the sole of my foot.

Two questions:

I always have bruised easily. My oncologist did a full range of blood tests to be sure I didn't have a bleeding/clotting problem. For those with known EDS: does EDS increase bruising due to problems with the connective tissue.

My POTS is feeling worse. Could that be because my blood is pooling and remaining in my injured leg?

Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Can you have a fracture but still be able to walk on the leg (with pain)? Right now I am using ACE bandages straight down my leg to my toes. My support hose would not fit over the swollen leg.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Lois

Hey Lois-

Easy bruising is a sign of EDS, though personally, I don't bruise that easily. I always find bruises when I least expect them though, not realizing what I walked into during the previous day. The bruises I get also seem to take forever to go away after I get them.

The POTS is probably worse because of the stress on your body due to the fall. When I've fallen, my POTS gets wicked bad for a couple days, then resolves. Take care of yourself and rest, and the POTS should ease up soon!

As for being able to walk on something when it's broken... well, that is possible. My grandma (at 88 no less) walked around for 3 days on a broken hip because she didn't want to go to the hospital. I walked around on a broken foot for four weeks, finally got the X-ray after it was healed, though I did use crutches for the first three days because my foot didn't fit in my sneaker and I needed it to fit into heels later in the week (Oh, collegiate stupidity)

Usually, for me, with a broken bone I get localized pain that is very severe - almost nauseating. Sometimes I swell up a lot, sometimes I don't swell at all. I've had both happen and have, at this point, have had 6 fractures. But everyone is different. I would recommend you at least get an X-ray and get checked out. Being able to walk on it doesn't mean you're in the clear.

Also, with EDS, you're at risk for a lot of soft tissue injuries. I routinely tear my tendons and have severe bursitis in a lot of my joints from very minor injuries. My ACLs are shot. My shoulder is shot, etc.

Good luck and get thee to a doctor!

Sara