Sheehan's Syndrome

firewatcher

This is a wild and crazy theory of mine that my doctors are actually now saying IS possible.

With my first child, I did not have any pain meds for labor and delivery (he was induced and it was just too fast.) During that delivery my BP went so high it was unmeasurable and I swelled up all over like a balloon.

Sooooo, with the next one, my new doctor induced earlier so that I would not have a 10 pounder and labor would be more "controlled." I got an epidural and quite comfortably delivered a big blue bundle of joy (he really was blue!)

After that, when everyone was attempting to get the little guy to pink up, the nurses took me to a room and started pestering me about my BP: I needed to sit up, drink more, move around...my BP was too low. They had a nurse sit with me and irritate me for a while and then they brought in these WONDERFUL boots that inflate and deflate.

Skip forward seven years. So yesterday I asked my OB/GYN about it and his eyebrows crawl up his forehead and he says: "if they put you in those, your BP must have be dangerously low." Unfortunately the hospital has those records and I don't know how low my BP went.

I have talked this over with my 3 endos, the doc at Vandy, my PCP and my OB/GYN. IF my BP crashed that low AND I was volume depleted (hypovolemic) it COULD mimic an extreme post-partum blood loss and cause Sheehan's syndrome (death of the pituitary.) This COULD explain the slow decline of hormones and the Diabetes Insipidus (but so could auto-immunity.)

Does anyone here have Sheehan's Syndrome and was it caused by POTS?

• 3 years later...

Hi Firewatcher, I know this is old but what became of this. Do you have sheehan's or did they ever figure that out? I went this morning and had lots of bloods drawn to check all the hormones related and for the sheehan's. I lost a lot of blood during and after delivery from a retained placenta that I had. I'm not hoping for something to be wrong but just hoping for an explanation to my problems.

Just checking in, let me know.