Wall Tack - Stuck Right In Palm

iheartcats

This morning I placed my lower palm right down on a wall tack (the longer ones, not the flat ones). I pulled it out, washed it, and it bleed a bit/hurt (of course).

I had a Tetanus shot about 5 years ago...is this really worthy of a booster? It wasn't a tack on the floor, it was lying on my desk, and wasn't that deep...maybe an 1/8 of an inch? Or a 1/6? Hard to tell.

Anyway. Since vaccines play havoc on us I wonder what I should do...I hear the Tetanus lasts 5-10 years unless you have a more severe puncture wound/cut. This doesn't look severe and it wasn't an object lying outside (doesn't Tetanus thrive in the soil)?

What a silly, annoying thing to happen! Ugh!

In the UK the current advice is that if you have had a course of 3 tetanus shots and then one 10 years after that, you don't ever need another one. Certainly if within 10 years of your last shot you should be covered. If in doubt give your PCP a ring and check. You are right that tetanus bacteria live in soil and outdoors so wounds from outdoors or around animals are much higher risk (when I was a teenager my riding stables were really careful that we all had up-to-date tetanus shots).

Flop