Could My Son Have Pots?

Angelika_23

Last week, I had my two youngest children at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati to follow up with their pulmonary doc. When the nurse took the vitals, I noticed that my 13 year old's heart rate was more than 20 bpm faster than his 8 year old brother. They were sitting while the HR/BP was taken, and the 13 year old's was 118 resting. I know children run a little higher than we do normally, but that does seem kind of high to me still.

My heart is heavy when I think that my son could have this illness also. I hope I am just being paranoid, and he is fine.

Thoughts?

Angela

That is pretty high. Was he uncomfortable? My brother has a "runner's heart" that actually has an extra half-beat, and it reads as a really really high HR, but it turns out to be harmless. I doubt he has what my brother has, but I guess my point is, there's a chance it isn't POTS. But I would definitely watch out for other symptoms, and if ever feels uncomfortable or fatigued or anything out of the norm, I'd see about getting him some treatment before it effects his development and physical health.