Anyone Uses A Tens

Ernie

I used to use a TENS unit, especially before and after surgery on my knee several years ago. I can't use it at the moment as they mess with the implantable loop recorder that I have. I found that it was a good adjunct to have, it didn't do instead of pain killers but it did help. They cause an unusual tingling sensation but you get used to it after a while. Can you rent a unit for a while to try one out before buying?

Flop

Hi Flop,

I have been using the Tens twice at the hospital with my PT. That's why she told me to buy one because it helps with my migraines. My insurance pays for it if I buy one but they don't pay if I rent. I went to 5 different stores today with prices varying from 100$ to 900$. My insurance will pay 450$.

Hi Sandy, I will PM you.

Thanks

Sara has a TENS unit. It was prescribed for her by her pain management doctor. Her insurance at the time paid for it in full. It does help with the pain, however, where she has much of her pain is in the occipital region, so its not a good idea to put the pads in her hair. But it does help for pain in other areas. Good luck, Ernie, hope you find some relief with the TENS.. Susan

Sara has a TENS unit. It was prescribed for her by her pain management doctor. Her insurance at the time paid for it in full. It does help with the pain, however, where she has much of her pain is in the occipital region, so its not a good idea to put the pads in her hair. But it does help for pain in other areas. Good luck, Ernie, hope you find some relief with the TENS.. Susan

Hi Ernie,

My physiotherapist would not use it on my shoulder/rotator cuffs because of irregular heartbeats. She said that the stimulation would be too close to my heart and might set off another round of rapid heartbeat. I wonder if she'd use it , let's say on knees.

I do know someone who bought a tens for knee pain, after knee replacements, and has had wonderful results/ relief. A physiotherapist started using it on her in the hospital and her husband bought her one of her own. It cost just over $900.

If you do decide to get one, I think you'll get the relief you need. Mary P

Ernie, the TENS unit I have is one I bought in a pharmacy for about ?50 ($100) it has 2 channels (gives more options for targeting pain especially if using for back / sholder probs) and 8 different stimulation modes. I believe that there are much more fancy units available but I don't know what additional benefits they may have. It may be worth maxing what your insurance will cover and going for a $400-$500 unit??

Hope you find something suitable.

Flop

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I will buy one is close to 500$ including taxes because that is what the insurance covers. Also, I heard that when you can very the style of wave your body has less chance of getting used to it. The lower price model has only 1 or 2 types of waves.