Sodium Supplements

firewatcher

I think it's actually more than 3g daily, isn't it? If you are drinking tons of water, you could easily need more salt than that, I believe. Someone else want to help out on this one? I think the nutritionist I talked to said upwards of 5g of salt for the high salt diet if drinking 2+ L of water . . . or is mine just higher because I'm running the fluid deficit?

At any rate, the nutritionist said fast ways to get dietary salt:

-pickles

-olives

-soy sauce

The "slow sodium" tablets that I used to take do not contain potassium. They each contain 600mg of sodium. When salt loading I used to take 10 tablets a day for a couple of months then drop to 5 tablets a day (3g) for maintenance.

Currently I buy Himalayan salt from a health food store and add it to my drinking water. Sounds terrible but I just put in enough to change the feel of the water in my mouth (it feels softer) not the actual taste. I'm another person who can't stand the taste of salted food.

Flop

Hello again, sorry bout the misleading info on the thermotabs, I thought I remembered them not having sodium...darn! My dietitian said that pots patients need a minimum of 4 grams of salt per day...more is best though...my goal is 6 grams right now.

Thanks anyway! I'm not too sure I need to mess with my sodium right now anyway. When the dDAVP quits and I start my daily urine dump, I think that if my sodium intake is any higher I'll go hypernatremic very quickly. Until I get clarification on the diabetes insipidus diagnosis, I'd better stay where I am. It's frustrating because if it's not DI, then sodium loading will help, if it IS DI then sodium could/will cause big nasty problems!

I've gotta get that magic 8 ball fixed! I'm running out of flower petals to pluck! :P

I saw my doc. today and he said that you can get the pharmacist to order 1 gram sodium tablets. They're just supposed to be sodium chloride but you can't get them over the counter. You don't need a rx either. I'm going to try tomorrow and see what they say. If they are pure sodium then I'll be sure to letcha' know. :P

I drink broth instead of taking salt pills (b/c I can't stomach the pills). The organic broth I get at Whole Foods has 750 mg sodium per cup. I drink it twice a day to supplement my sodium. Do you know what is causing your potassium to be high? I think the balances of potassium and sodium are related, so wondering if it is connected to your POTS.

I drink broth instead of taking salt pills (b/c I can't stomach the pills). The organic broth I get at Whole Foods has 750 mg sodium per cup. I drink it twice a day to supplement my sodium. Do you know what is causing your potassium to be high? I think the balances of potassium and sodium are related, so wondering if it is connected to your POTS.

I have been "doing" the spagettios and olives thing for several days now. Bleeehhhh. :P

I think my potassium is high because of the dDAVP and my normally low salt intake. As my plasma volume expands, it's diluting the minerals and I am dumping sodium OR it would be normal if I would just eat enough salt. I have several things that make them say no to the diabetes insipidus dx and this is one of them. I really don't like salty foods and my entire family has high blood pressure, so its hard to get out of the "low-salt" habit.

But if it IS DI, salt is the last thing I need...round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows.

sigh

I mail ordered 1mg salt tablets. They are literally just NaCl compressed into tablet shape- no coating or anything.

Consolidated Midland Corporation (CMC)

NDC 0223-1760-01

Sorry forgot where I got them. Do a forum search here for old "salt" threads - there are probably 10 started...

I eat something before I take one and drink a couple glasses of water with it.

Jesse