Colonoscopy

Ernie

Hi,

I had a regular colonoscopy in 2001 which made me very sick. I think that it was partly due to the liquid I had to drink that causes diarrhea and dehydration and the second cause are the meds they gave me to sedate which caused vasodilation.

I am wondering if the virtual colonoscopy is has good as the regular one especially if the doctor needs a biopsy. They can't do it in a virtual colonoscopy but maybe there is another way to find out.

What is the advantage of one over the other?

If the virtual colonoscopy is as good I would rather have that one because I don't have to go through the meds and the pain.

Any experience or knowledge appreciated.

Hi Ernie,

I've also had a few horrific colonoscopy experiences, BUT I don't think the virtual is any better (at least for me.) You still have to do the whole prep. My GI found polyps before, and in a virtual colonoscopy, they couldn't be removed. I copied a few things I found on MedNet that compares the two:

Comparing virtual colonoscopy and optical colonoscopy

Virtual colonoscopy is less invasive and faster to perform than optical colonoscopy and does not require conscious sedation.

Even though virtual colonoscopy is less invasive than optical colonoscopy, virtual colonoscopy still involves injecting air into the colon, which can be uncomfortable for some patients. On the other hand, with adequate conscious sedation, patients usually experience little or no discomfort with optical colonoscopy.

Virtual colonoscopy is not as reliable as optical colonoscopy in detecting small polyps (less than 5mm in size). Even though most experts believe that polyps smaller than 5mm are usually benign, some small polyps can be cancerous or become cancerous if not removed.

Virtual colonoscopy is not as accurate as colonoscopy in finding flat cancers or polyps that are not protruding, that is, are not polyp-like.

Virtual colonoscopy cannot remove polyps. If polyps are found by virtual colonoscopy, then optical colonoscopy must be performed to remove the polyps. Therefore, many individuals having virtual colonoscopy will have to undergo a second procedure, optical colonoscopy.

Even though the amount of radiation exposure with virtual colonoscopy is considered safe, the long term radiation effects of mass screening with CT is not known.

Is it time for you to go through with this again? Maybe ask your GI his/her opinion on which would be best for you. Let us know what you learn & decide.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for taking the time to do research for me. I think I will go ahead with the traditional colonoscopy because my doctor wants to do a biopsy.

My niece had an appointment with our researcher on the following day of my scheduled colonoscopy and she just emailed me today to tell me that it has been postponed. I always accompany her to the appointments. This will cause less stress on me because she comes to sleep at my place and I go with her. Now I can take all the time for me to recuperate.

Ernie,

I know that in the UK if a frail/elderly person needs bowel prep for a colonoscopy they are sometimes admitted to the hospital to have the prep so that they can be given IV fluids to compensate for the fluids lost in diarrhoea. Can you talk to your doctor to see if you can get IV fluids to help you recover more quickly? They may be able to let you have the prep at home but go in a bit early for the colonoscopy and stay longer in recovery to get some IV fluids in you?

Hope all goes well,

Flop

I'm so glad you will have good help on the day of your procedure. i think Flop's ideas are great, too. No doubt some IV fluids will help.

For my last one, I drank a prep called "halflytley." It ended up being four large glasses- very doable, which I sipped over the entire evening. i did not try to chug-a-lug like the directns say. I was very clean & did much better than when I tried to drink the full gallon. Certainly the best prep I've ever had.

When's the procedure? I'll be sending prayers and good thoughts.

Julie