Started Metformin Last Night

Guest Sandy Sims
I started Metformin last night. It seemed to make me feel worse. I know it will take a while to adjust but I feel more jittery and "revved up" and even cranky. They started me on 500mg, twice a day... could that be too much? I took it again just a few minutes ago, so we'll see what happens today...

I started on it once a day--for a few weeks--then went to twice a day. The first dose did make me feel a bit odd--as I told you--second dose less so==by the third I KNEW I had the cure.

However, you DO have to take this WITH food since it works on blood sugar levels best that way--these instructions should be on the bottle. Taken on an empty tummy it may make you queasy or jittery at first.

I DID feel more energetic--but not in a bad way--other than the feeling was VERY new to me after being sick for so long.

Cranky is most often a sign of low blood sugar--or could be high.

You need to be testing your blood sugar with this drug at first--surely they told you this? If not, FYI it peaks in your blood at 2 hours--lasts about 6-8 hours total. For the first week your blood sugar may take a few days to get stable on the drug. If it feels like you need to eat take your blood sugar readings--if you feel odd--take your blood sugar. Above 140 is starting to get high--below 75 is starting to get low. 90 is normal.

If it's low eat protien with a rough carb--reduced fat cream cheese and All bran cracker hold sugar stable well. If it goes high try to walk around some to pull it down AND NOTE what you ate that did this--but this should not be a problem assuming you eat reasonably for your condition. I was given a diet speach and booklet by the doc at the time I was given the med--then sent to diabetes school to learn when to test and how to handle my disease. I'm now on weekly meetings with a dietican for three months.

BTW--did your doctor give you a prescription for a meter and test strips? If so, you can get a new free meter from any of a zillion folks who make them--and sample strips. Forward your Rx (a copy--keep the original) and they'll also keep you in test strips and file on your insurance. We got free meters in diabetes class--and signed up with a supply provider.

Even better, you can look in the phone book for diabetes supplies and call any of them and they will likely call the doctor for you to get the prescription and send you what you need. They may also offer training you need in how to manage your blood sugar easily.

Is simply a matter of eating balanced meals and eating with meds. you take.

Hope this helps!

Hang in there--and call if you need to!

XOXOX

Sandy

Guest Sandy Sims
I have been eating with the pill. I ate eggs, toast & milk for breakfast and an hour later it was 66. Just checked it again and it's up to 88 but i feel horrible. I called the nurse to see if maybe they just started off too strong bc I felt the same way last night. I will look into getting the machine. Thanks!

Are you on any other meds?????

If so go to drugs.com and check--they may well interact.

Any better, kansasgirl? I'm pulling for you!

Julie

No, it's been a horrible day. But my husband called the on call doc and he said I SHOULD back the dose in half. I'm also stopping my birth control pill, which affects blood sugar. So i'm just praying it will level out here in the next couple of days before I lose my mind!!! thanks for the note :)

Guest Sandy Sims

No, it's been a horrible day. But my husband called the on call doc and he said I SHOULD back the dose in half. I'm also stopping my birth control pill, which affects blood sugar. So i'm just praying it will level out here in the next couple of days before I lose my mind!!! thanks for the note :)

So sorry for your troubles!!!

Hopefully, going to one pill (at night???) will make the metabolic changes easier to handle.

Glad you backed down.

Call if you need to talk.

Hope you feel better soon! :huh:

XOXOXO

Sandy

yeah i'm pretty down right now just bc I was hoping to at least feel THE SAME not WORSE.. but i'm trying to just get through the next couple of days. Still felt crappy today. Not sure if the BCP was contributing or not, but it's out the window now! lol I just get so frustrated with all of this!!! GRRRRRRR... thanks for posting it helps me vent..

Guest Sandy Sims
P.s. i'm taking 1/2 pill twice a day. not sure if I posted that.. my brain is a fog! I thought i'd rather do that than a whole one once a day...

At the beginning I tried 1/2 and 1/2 as well and it didn't work as well as one per night--night being the time you can't eat to keep sugar stable. I woke up EVERY night sweating and shaking!

But if sleeping is not a problem it wouldn't matter as much.

Later --after I got stable on the night dose I added 1/2 in the morning with no real side effects from adding the extra 1/2.

But I DID get all sorts of effects from the 500mg a night--mostly the ability to sleep--but also a huge wieght loss and return of urine output.

So sorry it's been harder for you. Hang in there! Hopefully it will get better soon.

XOXOXO

Sandy