Orthostatic Dyspnea

When I had my last tilt, I had to be given oxygen because I was having such trouble breathing when I was tilted upright. Without O2 my pulse jumped up immediately upon tilt to the point where I had to be lowered to "try again". On a decent amount of oxygen, this immediate rise didn't happen, though my pulse did go up, but not to the same point. Anyone have to be given O2 during the tilt?

I looked this up today (bored at home, attempting to drink a ton of water for an ultrasound) and came across the term orthostatic dyspnea. Has anyone been diagnosed with that? Who should I see to get this treated, if it's treatable?

Sara

Sorry, no help here. But I am very interested in the answer; apparently I have the increase hematocrit and lung function similar to those living in the Andes!

My brain thinks that I am at a high altitude (I guess <_< ) Every time my doc does bloodwork, it comes back high for red blood cell count and my lung function test came back with a perfusion rate of 233% of predicted. THe only info that I can find that is similar in lab values is the study of chronic mountain sickness. By the way, I live on a hill, not in the mountains.

Hi,

Interesting! I think I had seen a little on this before, and researched it and I ran across an article (didn't read or anything) about orthostatic dyspnea in those with orthostatic intolerance.

I didn't have to have O2 during tilt, I am not sure if they even were monitoring it? But, I know that I do have issues with the shortness of breath, especially when symptomatic. Also, while wearing a pulse ox and standing/walking down the hall (not as a patient... so, not "sick") my pulse ox was like 92, just walking slowly and standing around. I do think that for me low pulse ox does play a part, but I do not know how to get a dr to pay any attention to this or if anything can be done?

Also, on a slightly different note.... When I was looking up orthostatic dyspnea on google I ran across orthostatic tremor again (I had kind of forgotten about it), but I also have a lot of issue with this and I think sometimes what people describe is happening is this. It is a form of essential tremor that is in the legs and causes them to shake (tremor) and is orthostatic in origin. I think that this for me to, kind of puts things together because I have had essential tremor for years. I wonder how much this may have to do with pulse ox and hypoglycemia? Not sure... for me I just see some connections.