Chest Pain And Dysautonomia

ajw4790

Hi all!

I know this probably could have (and possibly should have) been a response to previous threads, but I thought because it may be applicable to multiple threads to post it as a new topic.

I have been rereading a good bit of my Pathology book from school and was reading about the Cardiovascular system, and specifically Mitral Valve Prolapse.

I was actually suprised to see a paragraph or so on dysautonomia. I thought the info may be helpful to others and thought I would post. It is possible this has been discussed before, but with this wording it at least made more sense to me than some other things I have read.

"Chest pain or discomfort may occur as a result of autonomic nervous system dysfunction (dysautonomia). The autonomic nervous system imbalance results in inadequate relaxation between respirations and eventually causes the chest wall to go into spasm. The chest pain is sharp, lasts several seconds, and is usually felt left to the sternum. It is intermittant pain that may occur frequently for a few weeks and then disappear completely, only to return again some weeks later."

Source: Pathology by Goodman, Fuller, and Boissonnault 2003 ed.

My own personal hypothesis: That those with EDS may be affected differently (possibly more frequently?). Also, this combined with sleep apnea may cause severe night chest pain.

I hope this can be of some help to some of you who may experience this. It doesn't suggest any treatment etc. due to it is a blurb within a section on MVP, which is not often treated or if so with BB's etc.

The chest pain is sharp, lasts several seconds, and is usually felt left to the sternum. It is intermittant pain that may occur frequently for a few weeks and then disappear completely, only to return again some weeks later."

This is really interesting. I always feel like I have two different kinds of chest pain. One I have decided is due to chronic costochondritis because my ribs and sternum are painful most of the time, but then also, I have a pain that is exactly as you described above. Thanks for posting this.

Summer

Thanks! That made a lot of sense.

I get sharp pains too, and, as I've been complaining about lately, a constant but more subdued pain. But reading this little blurb made me wonder, if my lungs don't rest properly in between respirations, maybe that could also make my chest cavity feel "tired." Who knows? But it was comforting to read!

jump