Gerd / Acid Reflux

jump

Hello all,

I've had chronic chest pain (literally every single day) for well over a year now, and always assumed it was related to having POTS but never had a doc who could explain it to me. Recently (in the past two months) I've also had a chronic sore throat and a cough, and I've noticed I get heartburn and regurgitation (gross, I know) more often. After reading articles on line, I'm starting to think maybe I have acid reflux disease, and maybe this chest pain is really caused by that (since nothing comes up wrong with my heart, thankfully).

I've read that GERD can be caused by low gastric motility, which I know I have but don't take any drugs for.

Do others with POTS have GERD, and is it a common side-effect of low motility? How do you deal with it? I'm worried about contacting my doctor, since she isn't very patient with me and treats me like a hypochondriac -- so I'm considering just changing my diet and taking OTC antacids and see if that helps. Is this wise or do I need to see my doc? Some things I read say that GERD is really common and not something to worry about, and some things I read say it needs to be montitored...

Also, I'm going to try and eat a low-acid diet, but I haven't been able to find anything about what foods to eat/ what to avoid except to avoid caffeine and alcohol. But surely there are other things to avoid? If anyone knows of a website or resource about how to eat with GERD I'd really appreciate it!

thanks

jump

All I know about GERD is what I have learned from personal experience.I know the sore throat and cough go with it. Sara and I both have it, we both take Protonix, it has helped me a lot, but her not so much, as she still regurgitates in her sleeep. So I dont know if its related to autonomic problems, she has OT, but I have no autonomic problems. Just a few simple ideas, dont eat anything 2-3 hours before going to bed. Try elevating the head of your bed, by putting something under the head post of your bed. Also you might try some of the over the counter stuff, like Zantac, but check with the pharmacist to make sure it is ok with the other meds you take. Also dont hesitate to call your doctor, after all you are her boss, you pay her salary. Heres hoping you find some relief. Keep me posted, I truly hope you feel better soon.

Sending you best wishes and gentle hugs-----Susan :)

I've a history of GERD, and I've wondered too if it was POTS/Dys related because I've noticed that others on here deal with it. I don't have any new suggestions other than that if it is bad enough, OTC meds may not help heal the damage. You might want to go ahead and check in with your doctor.

hope you feel better soon.

I know that quite a few of us struggle with GERD, and I for one definitely think it is related to all of our other GI disturbances. I'm on protonix too and can't live without it. I avoid spicy foods, acidic foods, citrus, alcohol, etc and that helps some. One of the best helps that I have found is actually yogurt. If you have a bad bout of heartburn, sometimes eating yogurt (I have plain and add fruit) can really help decrease the burn. The hardest thing for me is maintaining a balance between a high sodium diet and stomach pain associated with the salt. I try to ride the line so that I reduce both problems at once, but it's pretty difficult. Also, probiotic supplements help somewhat too if taken consistently. I also use a ramp to sleep on which is pretty important too.

Also, if your doctor is not receptive and treats you like a hypochondriac, you might want to consider trying to find a new doctor. The last thing you need when you are as sick as we are is to deal with a doctor that treats you like you're faking.

Just my 2 cents! hope this helps and you find some relief soon. :)

Lauren

You can try prilosec which is now over the counter, but FIRST check with your pharmacist. I have GERD (but not POTS - I'm here b/c my son has POTS). Protonix helped me. There's a lot of advice about what foods to eat/avoid, but some recent research showed no across-the-board association with foods, but rather recommended avoiding whatever foods aggravate your own condition.

And if you're "older", the treatment standards call for an endoscopy to document the extent of esophagitis and to rule out cancer.

I agree w/ all the posts about get a new doc, but sure do know that is way easier said than done.