Pots Is In High Gear

lorrie

I know that stress makes my POTS symptoms worse and the last few days, I have been unable to do anything around the house. I am so weak, tired, dizzy, and nauseated. I think some of this is because I teach and school starts back in a few days. I am so worried about not being able to do it that I have made myself sick.

Last year, I missed alot of work due to POTS. Everything from fainting at school to waking up very symptomatic and unable to go in the first place. My principal started demanding a release form signed by the doctor saying that I do not have any limitations at work. He refuses to sign anything because he knows I am not able to stand for long periods of time and the stress of the job sets off an episode at times.

I really want to have a good school year, but I am worried about my stamina and if I have an episode at school again. I think my principal will make it hard on me. Thankfully, I work with a great bunch of people and they donated sick days last year to help me out. I don't think she will allow them to do it again. She is on my back so hard and has even made remarks that I am faking my symptoms.

I have gone to the Board of Ed and talked with the personnel director, but she says I don't have any legal rights for special accommodations because I am not "formally" disabled. I don't think they are going to help me out at all. It all depends on my ability to stay healthy and get through each day...

I love my job and can't afford to quit, but I don't know how it is going to work out. I don't have the energy for a long drawn out fight to keep my job. Sorry...just worried and needed to share.

Guest tearose

Try to make your own accommodations for as long as you can! Work is an essential part of living and let your doctor know you will sit if you are weak! Why doesn't he just write that? Let him know that you are trying to live within your limitations and work!

I don't understand why he can't write a letter? Is he more worried that you are worse than you feel?

Are you able to manage yourself every day? Maybe you are prone to relapses after work? I think a conversation with your doctor may make things clearer. Something just isn't right.

best regards,

tearose

Hi,

Could you teach sitting on a high chair? I heard of some members who do and can manage pretty well. Also you can take your meds at a time that will help you with your teaching time.

Is there a union that represent you that you can discuss your medical case?

Hi lolo,

I think I would be just the same if I were on my way back to work... Literally, "worried sick"!

I'm wondering what it means to be "formally" disabled? Would it take more than a letter from your doctor for that to be the case? I'm also wondering if your doctor is aware that you have limitations, so much so that he will not sign a release stating the contrary, than why does he not state in writing what your limitations are for your employer so that you can request appropriate accomodations?

I understand what you mean when you say you don't have the energy for a fight, but it sounds like with this principal, you may be in for a fight one way or another. She doesn't sound like she wants to make it easy for you.

I'm preety sure I will soon be up against some of the same challenges you're facing when it's time for me to go back to work. I figure I might as well fight this fight now because I'm not sure I'm going to get much better than this, and I'd love to have a work situation that will work for me. I truely wish you the best of luck in your start to the school year. I really hope things will begin to fall into place for you.

Summer

I teach and have more or less managed to keep at it. I usually sit, not stand, and warn my students that I may change positions. My students are adults (university-level) which does mean fewer classroom hours and in principle more mature students. I have official ada status.

Sitting doesn't seem to bother the students. I don't use the board. To stay sitting, I write on overhead transparencies, directly placed on the overhead. It's less tiring on my arms, and lets me stay in my chair.

I can do a lot of prep and grading from a recliner, as well as meetings with students.

This post makes me so angry. I am a former teacher, and I know from first hand experience how unaccomodating and demanding principals, assistant principals, and human resources over at the district office can be.

I have taught in some pretty bad situations, both from the stand point of the kids I was dealing with and my own health. I have, multiple times, tried to work through the stress, tried to work even when I had a fever, pneumonia, one cold after another, tried to go back to work right after an episode in the emergency room. A former principal had this saying that he thought was cute, "I'd rather have you here on your worst day than a substitute here on their best day."

*grrrrrrr* excuse me while I rant.

Sometimes it seems that "educational leaders" are so busy "putting the children first" that they forget that it is not only beneficial but necessary to take care of the teachers. Because if the teachers are stressed, sick, not supported, they will be doing a very poor job in the classroom.

It made me sick how teachers, including myself, were treated, and it really gets my goat to hear about how you are being treated now.

Your principal won't help you, you're not getting help from your school district; if you can afford it, I think your next move should be to consult a lawyer and take legal action against them.

It really burns me up to hear that your principal is trying to get you to get your doctor to sign something that is, essentially, I total lie. The school is obviously trying to cover their own bum; if they have something documenting that you are not disabled, they can fire you free and clear.

Don't let them do that!

Do you have any disability insurance? Can you go on short term or long term disability?

To respond to Ernie's suggestion: For me, it was nearly impossible to stay in my chair and teach. I taught at a high school, then a middle school. I was constantly having to get up for one reason or another. One expectation is that the teacher will walk about the room and "monitor" the students. If your principal comes in to observe you and sees you on your rear end, they're not going to like it. They want to see you up, on your feet, with plenty of energy and enthusiasm.

Amber

The reason the doctor won't write the letter is that he is trying to protect me...I'm glad he won't write the letter. If he gave the principal what she wants, he would basically be saying I am fine and then they don't have to accommodate me at all. She actually asked for something signed saying I am released from the doctor...no way...I have to have him.

By "formally" disabled, I think the woman at the BOE meant that I am not considered disabled by the state. If I was, I wouldn't be worried about fighting them...I would be receiving a disability check and staying home taking care of myself.

This is all so frustrating...I just want to work and am asking for a few accommodations such as being able to sit when needed, having someone else walk my students to lunch, etc. so I don't have to go up and down the hallway several times a day. I am also expected to stand outside in the afternoon doing pick up duty for the car riders. I can't do it...I passed out several times last year because of the length of time on my feet and the heat.

I really think the principal is trying to make things hard on me because she thinks I am a liability. The only thing I am willing to sign is something saying I won't sue them if I fall and hurt myself. I have no problem with that...I just don't want to be treated unfairly. I don't think my limitations are out of control. Just need to be able to avoid situations I know are going to make me have an episode.

Teaching at an elementary school does make it difficult to sit. I also know my students are willing to come to me for individual help instead of me running around the room. I could figure out a way to make it work...she just doesn't want to hear it.

My sister's husband's brother is an attorney and I may talk to him to see what he thinks I should do. I would prefer to skip the principal and go through the BOE because they really have the ultimate say in if I can stay or if I have to go. Maybe the attorney can discuss it with the personnel director and find out what I have to have to get a little consideration for a few accommodations.

Anyway, please keep my in your thoughts and prayers while this is being worked out. Thanks for listening.