Discovered New Anti-faint Countermaneuver

mkoven

I've discovered that if I squeeze my ab muscles really hard when I'm feeling faint or having chest pain from low bp, I feel better--like it stops the blood from pooling? The muscles I use are the same ones in pilates--suck in your gut like you're putting on a tight pair of pants, or pull your navel to your spine. Just thought I'd share.

My husband is an ex-military flight instructor, and this sounds like a maneuver that he taught all his students against G-force blackouts. He would describe it as a straining maneuver (like going to the bathroom.) If it works for them, it should work for us. Just for kicks, take your blood pressure right after you do one of those (unless you have high blood pressure) it should shoot up. I've done it a couple times when I felt lightheaded, but I have never passed out...yet.

Jennifer

• 3 weeks later...

I have no muscle so this is hard for me, but what I do is just RUN to the kitchen or wherever when I need something and hurry back to sitting, and I'm usually able to 'beat' the presyncope symptoms. My heart beats kind of fast for a few minutes but that's better than blacking out or getting nauseous. Or what I do is stay low while rushing wherever I need to go, and the blood doesn't escape my head as easily. Btw I don't recommend any of this to anyone else, just sharing how silly I am so that you guys can get a visual of my daily routines.