Embarrassing Scene At The Y

I feel like such a moron.

The doc at Vandy suggested I should do some aquatic exercise, soI was doing the water aerobic class at the Y last night, and started feeling bad. I knew I was tachy, so I went to the side of the pool to rest. My mistake was I should have tried to lie down. But, in the water there wasn't really anywhere to go. So I stood there, and I guess I looked really bad because everyone kept asking me if I was okay. Then the lifeguard came and made me walk with her, she said stopping suddenly wasn't good for my heart. So we walked, then I got out of the pool and THEN I started feeling REALLY BAD. I guess it showed, because the lifeguard shoved everything off the bench that was near and had me sit. Then I fainted. Just for a second. So she held me up and cleared the rest of the bench and had me lie down. She ran to call my husband, then got me a glass of water. I sat up, chugged it and fainted again. Just for a second. By this time, the whole class is watching, I feel like an idiot, and now they want to call 911. I begged them to not call 911. My husband got there while they were debating, so no 911 thank God. They rolled me out to the car in an office chair. It was so embarrassing. Today, the lifeguard called me to make sure I was okay. It was a very kind gesture. I bet they have me marked in the system now as a liability :blink:

Those of you that swim, how do you handle this?

I wasn't able to get up and go to work today... My boss will kill me.

Angelika

Hi Angelika,

I know the feeling of being embarrassed. I don't know how many public syncopes I had before I morned my dignity. Now, it's not that I don't care but I have accepted the fact that I have this disorder and it will happen and I have little control over it. (sometimes I can avoid it and other times I can't).

When I swim and get out of the pool and just lie on the side for a few minutes until my body adjust to the different atmospheric pressure. Then I gradually stand up.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you at the Y! Just know that there are others that have had the same type of experiences in public places! it is soo humiliating!!! Anyway, I wanted to comment about swimming. I have been just swimming laps on my own and have really had no triggers from it, except that if I swim too fast my heart beats like crazy... maybe you could just try swimming instead of the aerobics.. I think, for me anyway, it is better than aerobics bc I'm in a laying position the whole time, instead of a standing position.. plus I get the same type of workout! good luck!

I sympathise with your embarrassment and hope this doesn't stop you going back to the leisure centre.

I can swim (badly - nothing to do with the POTS!) and that doesn't make me ill. But I once went to aqua aerobics years ago and it ranks as one of the things that has made me feel the worst. I have no idea why. People say it is gentle exercise, relaxing and that it should be easier because the water is supporting your weight. Well for me, it felt like really hard work and, like you said, you can't easily get out of the pool or do less. Our aerobics instructor was like an army officer shouting out the instructions and telling us to try harder and I was too scared to get out of the pool and walk past her to the changing rooms! Needless to say, I haven't been back (though coincidentally it had recently crossed my mind to try again with a different instructor - maybe not!)

Best wishes

Guest tearose

That was a dangerous place to pass out! I'm glad you didn't hit your head!

I bet if anything people will be concerned only until you are able to manage well again. Just take it slow and carefully.

best regards,

tearose