Emotional Reactions

Hi Everyone-

I've noticed that lately I seem to have very extreme emotional reactions to stuff. Little things get me WAY more than they should have and I feel like I am out of control much more often. I HATE this sort of thing. Just wondering if you feel more on edge and "snappy" after the POTS hit or if this is just me and I need to figure out how to fix it.

Sara

I think anytime you have an added stressor in your life, such as a life-altering health problem, you can become more easily provoked/on edge/snappy/etc. I think that that would be expected. Somewhere there's a list of stressors, it includes things like divorce and moving, and it ranks the top 10 stressors. I'm pretty sure that having a diagnosis of a health problem and dealing with that problem has got to rank way up there with the list of top extraordinary life stressors.

Be patient and gentle with yourself - this POTS stuff is a difficult thing to deal with. very aggravating, from every aspect, physical/social/etc.

If you think it (your emotions) is something more, it might be worth it to mention it to your doctor and see if it might warrant a referral to a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist/etc.

I had depression/anxiety/etc. issues before the POTS, and the POTS definitly contributes to my mood/emotions/nuttiness, ie, makes me more weepy/nutty/easily frustrated.

Also, there's the whole brain fog issue.

Sara---YES!!!! My Sara is very emotional. The least thing will set her off on a jag of crying, ranting, etc. Her emotions are very much intensified and even more so when shes about to or just has had an episode. I definitely think the "impaired" autonomic system is to blame for this. Under what we call "normal" days, she very sweet, easy-going and totally loveable. So, you have company in that boat--- :)

Sara,

I'm very snarky and irritable when in an episode, and it's hard to keep a lid on it. But I definitely don't mean to be snappy at them. I always wondered why it's like that.

Cam