C T Angiography

helen.t

Hi, I am getting a Coronary CT Angiography scan next week and I'm not sure if I should take my dose of Midodrine on that morning. I have also to take some Atenolol for a few days before the scan to open up the arteries so it will make the scan easier. The reason I ask is that Midodrine is supposed to constrict the arteries and so will it not be reversing the job of the Atenolol? I called the hospital to ask and the nurse said just to take it but I didn't get the impression that she really knew anything about Midodrine or it's purpose even though I tried hard to explain. Does anybody know if Midodrine will affect the results of the scan? Any advice or help would be great! I just don't want to make things more difficult on the day although I would miss not taking the Midodrine as well since it helps me with traveling. I'm in a dilemna.... Thanks again. Helen

I'd phone the radiology department and ask to speak to one of the radiology consultants who perform and report the CT coronary angiograms. The doctor should may well not know anything about Midodrine himself (it is not licensed in the UK so it is not listed in the BNF) but he should be able to discuss if with a pharmacist or your cardiologist to decide if it will adversely affect the test results.

I suspect that the midodrine has more effect on veins than arteries (blood pooling occurs in the veins) whereas beta-blockers relax the arteries - but that is only my thoughts, not based on any evidence!

Good luck with the test, let us know how you get on.

Flop

Hi thanks for your replys! It was the radiology dept that I spoke to and they got someone to call me back who they said would know more but I'm not very convinced she did. I get my Midodrine sent up from UCLH, London but not sure whether I should speak to them or my Cardiologist here in Glasgow who referred me for the scan under recomendation from Prof. Mathias at UCLH. I find it so stressful and I just don't want to appear an idiot for making a fuss if I don't need to. The Consultant here didn't mention anything about not taking the Midodrine. Anyway I will pluck up courage to call someone, probably the Cardio Cons. Thanks again for all your support and I will let you know how I get on. LoL Helen

Hi Everyone, Thanks so much for all your advice which I took and called my Cons. Cardio doc last Thursday. He was off but his secretary said she would find out this week for me. I got a call back today to tell me not to take the Midodrine the day before as well as the day of the Angio Test. Just as well I looked into it more and didn't follow the instructions of radiology!! I had a gut feeling about it so thanks again for helping me decide what was best! I am so grateful!... My test is on Friday so I'll let you know how I get on. It will likely be all POTS related, thats what I'm expecting although I do have high cholesterol. Anyway, I'll be in touch soon. Helen