Crazy Heart Beat While Falling Asleep.

jump

Hey all,

When I lie down to go to bed my heart skips a lot of beats (between five and fifteen skips per minute, for usually about an hour to an hour and a half). It's not a medical concern (they did a holter monitor test) but it prevents me from falling asleep. The skipping causes me to cough and makes it difficult to breath, and just is uncomfortable and weird-feeling.

I've tried lying on my right side, my left side, my back, my stomach - no position seems to really help much. I'm taking a beta blocker but it doesn't seem to do anything for this skipping.

Is there anything else I could do or take that might help? It's not a huge problem, but sleep is so precious I like to try anything that might help me get more of it!

thanks,

jump

Have you tried sleeping propped up somewhat on pillows? The reason I ask is because if it only does this while you are lying down you might try tilting the head of your bed up or using pillows. Just an idea.

mary

When this does this to me, I usually move to the recliner in the livingroom and if I can fall asleep for a little bit, they usually go away for a while. They definitely are worse when I'm very tired or sick.

When this does this to me, I usually move to the recliner in the livingroom and if I can fall asleep for a little bit, they usually go away for a while. They definitely are worse when I'm very tired or sick.

hmmm.. for me i am not sure if mine skips beats but i have horrible palpitations when lying down and when awakening... feels like i go to bed and wake up with a panic attack... wish i had some advice for you. Hope things get better. I have been sleep deprived for 15 years and people do not realize what that can do to your body.

You know, it hadn't occurred to me to try propping myself up more! B) Makes logical sense, though. I will try that and see if it helps.

Medicalenigma, I have palpitations when I wake up too, although usually only if I wake up from a daytime nap. If I wake up early in the morning I don't have them as frequently. I've found that if I sit up on the couch with my feet up and drink something isotonic (I personally drink coconut water but gatorade or similar drinks also work just fine) and give myself about fifteen minutes of sitting and sipping then they usually go away and I can start my day. It's a horrible way to wake up, for sure, but once I started anticpating this problem ("OK, I know when I wake up from this nap I'm going to have to sit and drink for a little while....") it didn't feel so awful to deal with.

thanks guys,

jump

I also have problems during the night from time to time! It seems like iam deep asleep one moment and half a second later when iam still in the progress of waking up, my heart goes off like crazy.

As soon as i lay down flat on my back i can feel my heart beating all over the place, and i can see it also because my stomach is jumping up and down.

My cardiologist told me a few years ago, that i should try to sleep in a more upper position. I know that he tells that all his other patients with all kinds of heart and BP probems too. Ever since that day i sleep more in a sitting than in a laying position. I bought myself a special pillow which i put in my bed. I dont remember the last time when i slept flat on my back. I must say, that it does make a difference to

me. That way i can honestly say, i get less tachy and i can feel my heartbeat less.

Like i said, i never lay flat on my back anymore. Maybe you should try it also, hope it works for you too!