Salt Pills

Ok so I am wanting to try salt pills or tablets because I eat so much salt that my mouth gets sores and I still am being told to eat more. So I thought that I would try salt pills, but I cannot find them anywhere!!!

Where do those of you who take them get yours from? Do you have to order them online type of thing, or did you find a store that still has them?

Thanks,

Mary

Mary,

My local drugstore ordered it for my son; it just took a few days. Walmart will also order ThermoTabs salt tablets if you request it.

My son just started taking them last week. I don't know if you have nausea issues, but if you do, start slowly with tablets and build up over several weeks. At least, that's what my son's doctor said. And MAKE SURE you take them with meals.

Lenna

The salt tablets that I take are called "slow sodium" and I get them on prescription from my GP but the are not a "prescription only medicine" so one could buy them from a pharmacy (note that I live in the UK).

Flop

Flop, what is the difference between the regular salt tablets and "slow sodium"? I am also just ready to begin taking salt tablets and wonder if there is any benefit to taking "slow sodium" instead of NaCl tablets. Do you need to take them more than once a day? Thanks.

Summer

• 2 months later...

Hi Summer,

I have only just seen your question - sorry for not answering sooner!

The slow sodium tablets have a sort of matrix that allows the salt to be released slowly leaving behind something that looks a bit like coral (white mesh structure that you can occasionally see in the toilet bowl!). The slow release means that you can take the tablets all at once, when I am on them I take 10 with my lunch. For me this formulation doesn't seem to cause any issues with nausea.

Flop

Hi Flop,

Maybe you read in the more recent "salt" thread that I was not able to take regular salt tablets, so perhaps I'll check and see if I can find 'slow sodium' anywhere. Glad you mentioned that you have not had any nausea with them. If I can find them, I may give them a try. I'm not that great at eating tons of salt! Pills would be easier if I could keep them down. Thanks for the info!!

Summer