Mono (glandular Fever) Develop In To Cfs Or Worsen Pots?

Troy

Ive had POTS for 8 years now but 1 month ago I got Glandular Fever also called Mono and Ive never felt this sick before. Ive continued to get worse due to the Mono and feel very tired and sick all the time with severe sore throat, fevers, headaches, diziness, lethargy and coughing. Ive heard mono can develop into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Im now scared this may be the case with me. Ive also heard in some people Mono was responsible for causing their POTS in the first place.

So my question is..... For someone whos already had POTS for 8 years, will developing a new illness like Mono cause further complications to my POTS seeng as its already a factor that is known to cause POTS and am I now likely to develop "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" because of this?

I had mono last summer and felt awful, but it didn't lead to any worsening POTS systems that were permanent. Just while I had it was bad. I did pass out less, though, because I spent most of the time asleep. My dr. did tell me that it can take a POTS patient longer to get over mono than a normal person (and it's a long time anyway) I wouldn't worry too much, yet. It may take you 6 months or a year to be back to your "normal."

Meg

Hi,

I had glandular fever when I was 17 years old and can remember feeling dreadfully ill for several weeks then improving a bit but still feeling lousy for about 7 months. I gradually got back to normal within a year. That was 7 years before I became ill with POTS and I don't think there was a connection (although it probably was another viral illness years later that kicked off my POTS).

Flop

I'm sorry you are sick! Mono is rotten.

I do know though that it is often a long illness. I had mono before POTS and I was sick for at least 8 weeks. I would imagine that it would be prudent to really follow doctor's orders and rest a lot, and to take extra precautions since you do also have a chronic condition, but I'm not sure you have to worry that it will necessarily make things worse in the long-term for you.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

jump

Thank you everyone for the reassurance, I feel a lot more at ease knowing those of you who've had it havent developed further complications from it. I cant belive how long it actually takes to recover from this nasty illness, feels like forever and im only 1 month into it without any signs of improvement.

Cheers for all the well wishes :)

Lots of rest and relaxation is the key to recovery - the more that you fight against the illness and push yourself too hard the more you get knocked back by symptoms. I hope you have some favourite DVDs to enjoy over the coming weeks.

Flop