Anyone With High Blood Pressure And Pots... How Do You Follow High Sodium Diet??

Hi everyone!

I am new to forum so I have so many questions (sorry!) I was wondering.. so many people here seem to have low bp and follow a high salt diet.... I have high BP and I am not so sure a high sodium diet will be advisable for me, especially with all my fluid retention.

does anyone else with pots/oi have high bp or i am just a medical enigma?? (hence the name due to drs and myself never being able to figure out my strange symptoms)

thanks,

nj

Many here have both high and low bp, I'm one of them. Think of the group of disorders as unregulated BP, not low bp alone. Same goes with heart rates.

Nina

When I'm experiencing an episode of intense symptoms I almost always have high bp instead of low. My doctor told me that tachycardia can be a body's response to low bp, and that in my case it isn't, therefore there was no reason for me to eat a high-salt diet. I don't try to increase my salt intake. Before my diagnosis I had a very low salt intake, and now I have an average one. I do however take magnesium supplements which seem to help a lot, and since my bp tends to run high I don't have to worry about the super-low bp side-effect that some people get with magnesium.

Did your doc tell you to increase salt even with the high bp?

jump

Hi

I had high bp for about 8 years before I got pots. I think this is why I have only passed out one time - my bp just doesn't drop low enough for me to faint. I do the high salt diet and the florinef to increase my blood volume and take beta blocker to control my hr and bp. It is a fine balance and sometimes things still get out of whack!