Gluten/wheat Free & Dairy Free Diets

dsdmom

I'm curious as to why many people are on gfcf or wheat free or dairy free or any combination thereof diets. I understand if someone has celiac or allergies, but I have seen people post about these diets and how they help with their symptoms. So I just want to know what the thinking is behind going gluten free/dairy free as it relates to dysautonomia.

Thanks!

I'm one of the ones who is on the GF diet b/c my doctor put me on it. When I cheat on the diet, I get bad GI cramping, bloating, and the more I cheat, the sicker I feel overall, with body aches, feeling tired an flu-ish (beyond my normal exhaustion level).

Nina

Hi,

I haven't tried it, but I have seen some on here with good results. You should try a search of the forum. Also, I think there is some research out there linking some of these different factors together for some people. Also, some of the same symtoms of autonomic dysfunction can show up in those with Celiac Disease. It is something that I have considered trying, but due to my financial constraints and trying so many other things, I have yet to try the diet myself. I think though it is going to be more of an individualized thing to whether or not it helps. i don't know the specific research, but I think some of it goes along with why avoid sugar and carbs in general and our overall sensitivity to things.

I would say that more research into it and consulting with your dr. and or nutritionist may be helpful.

Hope that helps! :unsure:

Hi There, I was put on a Gluten free diet 4yrs ago when I discovered I had Coeliac Disease after many, many years of ill health, low immune system and very bad chronic Bowel/Stomach symptoms. Everything was put down to Irritable bowel, CFS and anxiety for over 26yrs. Unfortunatetly my body took a long time to adjust to the Gluten free diet and my symptoms of Dysautonomia became much worse, although I did not know what was wrong with me at that time. I ended up very ill in A and E with SVT symptoms which doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong and told me I was too focused on my diet!!??!...Ahrrr... I have since been diagnosed with POTS; Lactose intolerance; Periph. Vestibular impairment and Migraine related vertigo. Postural vertigo was diagnosed about 6yrs ago.

The main point is that I still have problems with my bowel/stomach even on my diet and I put this down to having Dysautonomia/IBS. I think it is best to be advised medically to go on this type of diet and if you are concerned that food can be making your symtoms worse, it would be best to get tested properly before going on it as it may just cause confusion with your symptoms in the long run. Also a lot of Gluten free food has a lot of sugar in it which I think can aggravate Dysaut. symp. I hope this is helpful. Helen

First my doc thought I had food allergies, so he made me do the allergy elimination diet (see books or web info on Dr. Crook). Then, when I introduced the first new item that had wheat in it, I puked (actually it was wheat and rye b/c I had a lovely plate of rye toast). Beer gave me the runs and a giant bloated belly--that was the barley to round out the trifecta. He then suggested that I just go gluten free for a while and see how I felt.

Years later, he decided to do the biopsies and blood work, but I'd already been GF for years. He had me try to ingest at least 8 oz of gluten products a day for two weeks before the testing, but I think it made it to day 3 or 4 and called his office to say "no way am I going to make it 14 days like this." I was nauseous 24/7, looked like I was pregnant, had terrible abdominal pains and cramps, yada yada yada.

My GI doc said that he thinks I do have celiac/sprue, but that my biopsies and blood work were normal b/c I'd not been exposed sufficiently to gluten to show a positive test. His feeling (which I agree with) is that if my guts are happy on a GF diet, why mess with what's working?

Nina