What Is "small Fiber Neuropathy"?

I have read "small fiber neuropathy" a couple of times on the forum and am wondering if someone could tell me what it is, what it feels like, and how it relates to POTS. I often have sort of a numb pain in my shins, usually not severe, but can be bothersome. Heat, like a bath, seems to make it worse.

Obviously like any other neuropathy, it deals with your nerves, but I believe this one tends to be more in the feet, with a burning sensation more commonly.

Sorry thats about all I have got for you, hopefully others have more info.

Though you could very well have both POTS and some type of neuropathy, I do think that it is more commonly found that your POTS will just present symptoms that people with neuropathys would have. For me before I was diagnosed with POTS they thought I had peripheral neuropathy, and they aren't sure if I don't now, but they think it is just my POTS that makes it seem like I have that.

Our nerves send the wrong signals to different parts of the body sometimes, because the automatic nervous system controls what signals nerves send, so when the ANS isn't working right, nerves will send incorrect signals. So that might be what is going on, however you could have a neuropathy along with POTS, perhaps ask your doctor to look into it next time you are there, if it is really bothering or worrying you.

Good luck,

Mary