Hands Turn Purple Or Blue In Hot Water

kayjay

Yes, mine start out purple to the point of being almost black in patches, but then after a few minutes they are bright red. Half the time my toes look scary - like they could be damaged by poor circulation, but the cardio says its venous pooling and I shouldn't be too concerned about it.

does it happen to you when you are cold and then you get in a hot tub? i got in trying to warm up.

Hi Kayjay!

Yes, it does happen when I am cold. Sometimes I feel like getting in the tub is the only way I can get warm. Putting on sweaters, getting under blankets etc. does not help. I do have Raynaud's, as Crow has mentioned. It's pretty freaky looking when it happens! I guess it's vasoconstriction.

After I get warmed up I'm very red. Then I get out of the tub and I feel faint, and exhausted. We just can't win!

Do you have Raynaud's?

Summer

I was just told that I do by my doc on Monday- but I didn't have any tests done. I am always cold but only noticed the severe discoloration when i got into the bath. Could that still be what you are talking about?

I haven't had any testing for Raynaud's either. My doc just diagnosed me based on symptoms. My fingers sometimes turn white and get very numb. After that they turn blue, and then get red and hot. I almost always feel cold too.

I am on a beta blocker which is probably making it worse. We did try an alpha-beta blocker, which helped the Raynaud's but did nothing for my POTS symptoms. I'm really not sure why getting into the tub causes vasoconstriction and that purple-blue color, but I have no trouble believing it is related to Raynaud's somehow. It kind of scared me at first, but now I just accept it as another one of my charming peculiarities :rolleyes: .

• 9 years later...

Recently I have noticed when I am washing my hands the palm of my hands and more so the Pinky and ring finger become blue. But it does not cover my entire hand.  My hand is a deeper blue starting from under the thumb joint located in the palm of my and and curves to miss the pointer and middle finger.   And it is more prominent in my right hand then my left.  This only happens when I am standing at the sink washing my hands. It does not occur when I am in the shower or tub and my feet are not affected.  I do not feel cold on any part of my body or extremities.  Afterni am done washing my hands it will last a max of five minutes. I have chamges the position in which I wash my hands thinking that I'm cutting off a major artery. No matter how I position my hands and arms it persists. I don't feel any different. Meaning I don't feel dizzy or short of breath or anything like that. I feel fine.  Obviously there is an underlying condition and it is not Raynauds?

• 2 years later...