Change Of Altitude?!

I live in a city with an altitude of 2600 feet. We have a cabin in the mountains that is only one hour away and the altitude of the cabin is 9600 feet. Every time we go for a weekend, I get a huge flare of symptoms and feel terrible and then it takes days to feel "my normal" again.

I am assuming that the flare is probably caused by the altitude change but was wondering if any of you had any thoughts. Also, might anyone have any ideas of how to minimize the symptoms?

Thanks for helping!

Well, air is less dense at that altitude. That means less oxygen.

Maybe there is a way of finding out whether it is the decrease in pressure or the decrease in oxygen that's exacerbating your symptoms? The oxygen part should be pretty easy if that's the case. But I can't think of anything for pressure

I live at sea level. Going to 5,000 feet I notice a difference in how I feel. At 7,000 I can't really exert myself much (other than walking). Above 10,000 I feel terrible. This has happened to me several times. It takes everybody time to adjust to large changes in altitude, although the effects are more severe for some people than for others. It generally takes a couple of days to adjust, so if you are going back and forth in just a few days your body is struggling and not adjusting, probably. You also need more fluids at higher altitudes b/c the air is drier. It could be you are getting dehydrated and that is why you continue to feel badly after you return.

The lower atmospheric pressure likely causes symptoms to be worse. I would ensure you stay hydrated and take it easy on the physical activities. As others have stated, compression stockings or abdominal binders may help. I take midodrine before taking a flight (where the pressurization is 6,000 to 8,000 feet) so it is in effect the majority of the flight (but you can't take this med at night). There have been some past posts on this topic so it may be worth a search.

I also had miserable symptoms last fall at high altitudes in the Sierras. Fortunately I improved immediately upon descent to sea level.