Important Notice For Anyone Using Heparin/hep Lock

Poohbear

For all the folks who have ports, piccs or for any reason use Heparin or Heparin Lock flushes.....

Most of you are probably well aware of the recalls that have been taking place. There have been several over the last few months. The more serious (ie. fatal) events have been with the larger/higher doses of Heparin.

To make a long story short--I had some adverse reactions to a particular brand of Heparin Lock several months back. My reaction always cleared on it's own within a couple of minutes but acted like an instant (albeit, brief) allergic reaction. It was a really odd thing. I had been using one brand of Heparin and then I moved and the home health agency here provided a different manufacturer's brand. Whenever I used that one brand I had problems but I had no problems with other brands.

The infusion company checked everything--making sure there were no preservatives, that the heparin was made from pork intestine (as the other brands I had used had been made of) and not something else. In the end I was told the ingredients appeared to all be the same but everyone agreed my reaction was too significant and scary to keep using it. I was instructed to stay away from that particular manufacturer's stuff and go back to using the other brand that I had no problems with.

Now, with all the recalls we know that this was not just my weird body being ONLY sensitive. Yes, it still may be sensitive and picking up a problem in a much smaller dose than the ones that have caused some deaths but clearly there is a problem with the supply I had.

I spoke with someone in the FDA office today who was so nice and helpful. Anyhow, they are needing people to report any odd reactions people have had with the Heparin or Heparin lock flushes. Especially since they have confirmed a problem with Baxter supply at both U.S. and Chinese facilities. So, if anyone here has had odd side effects (even if it did not require hospitalization or a trip to the hospital) to heparin or heparin flushes please report it to the FDA. It is easy to report (they have an online adverse event form). My reactions occured from late fall 2006 thru the fall of 2007 on several occasions and it was only when I was given doses from Baxter.

Luckily, I still have a vial unopened that came from the same lot so they will be getting that and testing it.

If anyone needs help or further info just let me know.

Poohbear

Pooh,

Whew, that is really scary stuff. I had heard about the recalls and such, but reading your personal experiences makes it really scary. You are so in tune to your body and know how to be your own advocate, yet you still had no answer for the reactions you were having until now. I am so grateful that you did not have a worse reaction!!!

I've not been on the board much lately but when I do pop on I look for familiar faces--and yours is one that I've missed...so I'm glad you popped in. Also, I hope this information will help others and also help keep others safe in the future.

It's scary to think about the medications we take being contaminated, etc.

Hugs,

Emily