Chest Pain

jjpots

Last night I woke up from a sound sleep with the worst stabbing chest pain I have ever felt. I'm not sure what led up to it because like I said, I was asleep. My husband woke up to see what was wrong because he said it sounded like I was breathing funny. I was scared to go to sleep after that but did with no other problems. When I woke in the morning I had some left sided pain but this time it was more in my ribs.

I am currently on fludrocortisone (the one that used to be Florinef) and mestinon (actually the generic but I can't spell that) and was wondering if one of those would cause that.

Anyone experience this or have any ideas?

Thanks,

JJH

Hi,

rib pain can be severely painful and cause you to breath differently because taking a proper breath can be too painful. I once had something called Tietze's syndrome which is inflammation of the cartilage where the rib connects to the breastbone. It was horribly painful but did settle down with anti-inflammatory painkillers and a bit of rest.

Hopefully you'll feel better soon, but if you're worried then a trip to your doctor to get checked out would be sensible.

Flop

your description reminds me a bit of what i have with pleural (lung related) pain. before i experienced it i thought something lung-related would have to include a cough, congestion, etc but nope...for me it's usually just really nasty pain. breathing makes it worse though it's usually there all of the time to some degree. the first time i had this it was similar in that it woke me up in the middle of the night and was horrific. pain meds i have on hand didn't even touch it.

if it persists i would definitely get it checked out. and if it seems to correlate at all with breathing perhaps ask about getting a chest x-ray.

B) melissa

Guest tearose

JJH, are you doing any better?

Can you take a tylenol before sleep tonight?

Chest pains can be so many things, just don't hesitate going to the doctor if it persists after you tried to deal with it on your own.

best regards,

tearose

I haven't had another episode since I posted so I guess I'm not going to worry about it. If it starts happening more frequently then maybe I'll call the doc. I tend to freak out about the chest pains because of my hx of cardiomyopathy and I worry that maybe something turned worse with that. Just over reacting I think!

Thanks for the ideas.

JJH