Problems With Weak Veins.

Maggy

Hi all,

Best wishes to all of you for a healthy new year.

I was hoping that someone may be able to give me a bit of guidance on a decision i need to make.

I have been really poorly over the holidays and have had i.v antibiotics for the second time in four months to try and rid a stubborn u.t.i that will not go away.

Over the last few months i have developed more allergies than you could imagine.

Every time a canula has been inserted, my veins have been collapsing within seconds,

E.C.P's and consultants and nurses are all needing many attempts to find a decent vein.if they do suceed then the canula has been lasting up to two days and then i seem to get reaction so they have to remove it and start again, the problem is i am now on my last decent vein and the body is reacting so it will be removed tomorrow.

I have now got to decide if its worth taking the risk of having central line or Hickman line put in, but who is to say my body wont react to that after a few days?

My treatment will be ongoing throughout the year and i am struggling to find an alternative way of continuing treatment.

My questions are why do our veins start to collapse when previously have been healthy?

Why do we develop so many reactions to products we have previously tolerated?

Can anyody think of an alternative solution to going into theatre to have a line put in?

Sorry for so many different questions but i need to decide fast as to a long term decision .

Thanks for any advice . Take care ......................... Maggy.

I have this too-- and have eds. Getting an iv or giving blood has become a real challenge, and I easily react to all knids of things that never bothered me before. I have/had one really good vein on my right arm, but it now has lots of scar tissue on it, and no longer wants to be used.