Got My Drug Allergy Testing Results

Tessa

Hi,

I am sure that you remember the "funny" drug allergy testing I had done in order to verify a possible allergic reaction to a local anesthetic called "Novocaine", as well as a very strange reaction to Nitroglicerine + to a combination of other drugs, including Dolantine...

Well, I have got the medical report by post. A one page report, most of it explaining my medical issues.

The report mentions the following:

As local anesthetic, we recommend Mepivacaine.

We believe that the reactions explained by the patient, above all the one where it is mentioned the reaction after being given Nitroglicerine, are more likely due to an adverse reaction (or secundary) than to n allergic process, therefore, the patient should avoid it as precaution.

Regarding the use of the combination of drugs, including Dolantine (for an endoscopy) where I suffered a decrease of hr, the report states as follows:

the reaction suggests it was more likely an adverse reaction than an immune reaction. Even though, in those events we recommend to avoid that combination of drugs.

---

And that?s it.

There is no mention to "Novocaine" as I can see that they did not test it. It seems that they just tested another local anesthetic to recommend. Even though, they still say that I should avoid the drugs that caused an adverse reaction, as precaution.

Of course, it is obvious that they have just repeated the information I mentioned to them, adding to avoid the drugs mentioned to cause the reaction... Well, at least I have a written medical report.

I have been checking around and an adverse reaction can be as life-threating as an allergic one. I had a very low hypotension with syncope, a nurse told me that it was considered as a shock.

It was indeed a scary experience for all, the nurse, Cardiologist and myself... Even for my husband who could hear their screams beyond the door at the waiting room...

My reaction to Novocaine was also very scary and I ended at the ER...

I assume that I should wear a medical alert bracelet as it would be very difficult to warn doctors to avoid Nitroglicerine, Novocaine, etc. while being unconscious...

The Allergist has given a copy of her report for my GP. I am planning to ask him for whatever you think I should do.

What do you suggest?

Thanking you in advance for your answers and help,

Love,

TEssa

Thank you, Amy. :)

I agree.

I think that a medical alert bracelet is not used in Spain (but I have to confirm it with my GP).

Do you think that medical staff will understand if can get one with a simple word asking them to check my wallet for further information?

Thank you,

Love,

Tessa

Hey Tessa,

I don't know much about medical IDs, but it looks like this Web site might offer some good information:

http://www.americanmedical-id.com/

You might check with a pharmacist in your area. I know my local pharmacy has brochures for a company that makes medical alert bracelets.

Good luck! The more information you can get to health providers, the better!

Amy

Hi Tess and Amy,

What an interesting topic. I have just experienced the most terrifying allergic reaction to a drug ever. I developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome after taking an anti-convulsant. First of all, I got a chest infection, the went fluey, then had solid tachycardia for 24 hours, even lying flat, and then the rash appeared all over my body- a livid, red angry rash with target shaped circular dots. I had some liver and kidney abnormality, as well as all the autonomic stuff of course- but I know full well how frightening a drug reaction can be- whetrher true allergy or simply 'adverse'.

Hope you are able to keep avoiding the evils!

Has anyone else here ever had Stevens-Johnson? page here explains it concisely:

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40001287/

Hi

Thanks for your answers, :)

I have never been able to confirm that my heart stopped beating while having these reactions, (which I believe happened) but a severe bradycardia is at least something to take care with and I hope that with the medical report & these medical alerts, I can feel safe.

Excellent idea, Amy. I will check at the pharmacy. He is a nice person and I am sure that he will help a lot. :)

Thank you for the link... There is a wide range of "ways" to wear a medical alert. I wonder why they do not use this in Spain? I thought that medical staff always checked these alerts first.

It is very possitive for the patient and for the doctor to know how to handle a patient... I will check it at the pharmacy and with my GP.

Wauw Persephone!

That sounds scary too!

I suffered a terrible syncope on both reactions. Doctors had it really difficult to get me "back"... The Cardiologist did not have an idea of what was going on as he thought that it was just a vasovagal syncope, but I knew that it had to be more than that cause the way it happened was different to my normal POTS syncopes.

Yours is a terrifying allergic reaction. Do you carry a medical alert? I hope you do.

Take care, both

Love,

Tessa