Question About Generic Toprol Xl

cmtaylor5

Hi,

I've been on Toprol XL since my dx over 2 years ago. I've done really, really well and live an essentially normal life. Most of the things I suffered with before my dx like reflux, gastric emptying issues, heart pounding, vision issues, chest pain, resting sinus tachycardia, heat intolerance, and huge increases of pulse when going from sitting to standing have pretty much gone away. I still have trouble with extreme sinus tachy when running or walking steep inclines, though. I only take 25 mg of Toprol, and while more worked better, it made my blood pressure too low and it also depressed me.

Last week, my doctor wrote me a new prescription for 25mg Toprol XL so I wouldn't have to cut the pills in half anymore. When I filled it, I was given the new generic. Since the day after my first dose, all of my dysautonomia issues are gradually returning. At first, I didn't even make the connection between the new medication and the return of symptoms. I have now had heart pounding for the last 5 nights, vision trouble as of yesterday, horrible reflux and now the stomach pain that occurs with my gastric emptying issues has returned. Worst of all, for the first time in two years, I had a bout of resting tachycardia today! I ended up having that wonderful chest paint that had become a distant memory.

I called the pharmacist and asked her if the change to the generic could be to blame. She said that on occasion, a generic is bound with a different kind of filler and that it is sometimes not tolerated by some patients, but that she wasn't sure about this generic as it is relatively new. She suggested that I take some of the old Toprol XL's I had left over for a few days and see if there is an improvement in my symptoms. I did that today after my tachy episode and after about an hour I felt better than I have for the past few days.

Has anybody else noticed a difference between the regular drug and the generic?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I also took the generic Metropolol sporadically before I was diagnosed, and it also worked for me. Once I was diagnosed, my doctor thought the XL would be better. I think there must be a difference between the generic metropolol and the extended release generic. Since I posted this question, I have founded countless other people who have experienced the same problem, and like me, all got better once they resumed the Toprol XL. Apparently, more than one company also makes the extended release generic, so that may be a factor, too.

Carolyn

There definitely can be differences in generics and name brands.

I am on Toprol XL and am fearful that when I have to change to the generic (insurance will demand this) I will have problems.

I experienced similar differences in Wellbutrin SR and generic wellbutrin SL . . .

Good luck.

Hi,

I switched to generic toprol XL (metoprolol ER) a few weeks ago. I do NOT notice a difference but I was scared to switch. I talked to a pharmacist. He says that the SAME pharmaceutical company that makes brand toprol XL is making generic metoprolol ER. The company just wants to capture the generic market since they know they will lose business from their brand name drug. THe generic is considered a "clone" because it is made in the same factory and by the same company as the generic in this case. Therefore, it should be exactly the same. The pharmacist says that the above is the case for the 50mg size. I think he said that a different company might be making the other sizes. I did not pay close attention since I just take the 50's.

Karyn