Birth Control For Fewer Periods

maryfw

Yes, I use continuous birth control. At first I was on Seasonale, but my insurance no longer covers it. I now just use Apri (generic Desogen), but skip the placebo week. You can do this with any bcp. I have a period approximately every 3 months. It is nice because I can now choose when to have a period. If there is going to be company the week of my scheduled period, I can just push my period off another week so that I'm not crashed when they are here.

It definitely helps me to have level hormones. The continuous bcp has been my best POTS treatment. Not a magical cure by any means. I am still very much disabled, but I don't have as bad of crashes as often.

Rachel

Hello,

I have done well with just using my regular birth control (Yasmin) and taking 2 or 3 packs in a row. My dr. also said I could try Seasonique but I haven't tried it yet because I don't like trying new meds (I have to get "geared up" for it since I sometimes react badly)

Hope this helps,

Lisa

I too have used continuous bcp.

I think I tookk it a year and a half (under my GYN's care) with no period.

It was wonderful. My PMS and menstrual symptoms were awlful!!

Probably some POTS going on, but who knew at the time!

Anyway, my doc seems to think it is OK to do this and even for extended time periods.

Since that time I had a hysterectomy so I haven't tried the newer pills like seasonale or yasmin - can't offer an opinion there.

Yes, helped out enormously. Took continously, doc had no problem. Periods would break through about every 3 months. I did it for the pots and the migraines that I got each month. Such a relief not to have them. Eventually I had break through continuously and developed problems. Have just had a hysterectomy, so no more periods. Hooray! Just have to deal with HRT patch.

I hope it helps you as periods made my pots worse each month.