Headaches And Off Balance

jjpots

I did a search on headaches but didn't come across this so hope it isn't redundant.

Since I had my sick spell amost three weeks ago I've been having all these weird new issues. Most recently I've been getting headaches that don't want to go away. I've been taking tylenol but hasn't really been helping. It seems to be at the base of my head each time. ( I don't usually have many headaches and when I do they usually go away with the first pain pill.) Anyway, after having the headache awhile I get that "off feeling" not really dizzy but more like off balance.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms together or is it just a coincidence?

Thanks for any input!

JJH

Hi jjh,

I've been having headaches and feeling dizzy (and a bit dumb, too) but i don't think it has anything to do with POTS. I think it's sinuses.

I'm not saying that's your problem, but don't rule out alternative explanations!

Amy

Hi jjh,

I don't have POTS, my daughter does but I do get migraine headaches frequently. Does the pain present itself on on side only or is it on both sides? A migraine usually is on one side of the head and many times I have pain shooting out of one eye. I'm wondering if maybe you're getting a migraine which would be a different kind of headache than other kinds. I know that Tylenol and ibuprofen, Excedrin do nothing for my pain when its a true migraine. Only Imitrex works for a migraine. Also, I can get very bad tension headaches that again do not go away with Tylenol but sometimes ibuprofen helps those headaches. My period can also bring on my worst headaches. Hope some of this helps!

Brenda

i'm not if this might be what you're referring to when you describe headaches at the "back of the head", but for some of us with various types of autonomic dysfunction/ orthostatic intolerance, it's not too uncommon to get a certain type of postural/ orthostatic "headache" if/ when we're upright too long (either standing or sitting, depending on the person & severity of issues). it's thought to be related to cerebral perfusion, aka blood flow (or lack there of) to the brain, and is often referred to as a "coat-hanger headache" or "coat-hanger phenomenon". this description is based on the fact that the pain/ discomfort/ tension often begins at the base of the head/ top of the neck & extends to the upper shoulders, thus a shape similar to a coat hanger.

for me (and i would think for most) these "headaches" aren't relieved by anything but lying down, aka getting flat. i tend to get these from sitting whereas with standing my body skips over them right to dizziness/ syncope (quite quickly at that, aka i can't stand/ walk for more than a minute or two).

you may want to explore if your position has any affect on the headaches...not necessarily immediately but with some "recovery" time lying down would relieve the type i'm describing....

;) melissa

Melissa and Brenda,

Thanks for the input. I don't feel like they are migranes. It doesn't seem to be on one side, just base of head/neck and sometimes up from there a little too. I found another forum where they talked about headaches at the base of their heads too so I guess it's not abnormal for us.

Today I felt another one coming on so I took 1000 mg of Tylenol before it got bad and then that seemed to help. Weird that it's the 3rd this week though. I have been trying to keep track of all the strange things so I can tell the dr. next time I go in.

JJH

Hi!

Have you tried anything other than Tylenol? Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory, so if it is a tension headache, or involves any little bit of inflammation, muscular etc. Which a lot of the base of the skull headaches are. Tylenol may not help to relieve the problem.

So, if it continues it may be worth it to try motrin, aleve, or asprin etc.

I know with some headaches I will feel unsteady etc. I think these are more apt to be the headaches that are brought on my barometric pressure changes etc. So, I think anti-inflammatories work better for these types of headaches. It is hard for me to try to explain! :P

Hi AJW,

I used to take advil but then heard something negative about that with heart stuff so I switched to Tylenol. Maybe some Motrin would be a good idea to have on hand for those specific headaches. Haven't had one in several days so I'm hoping I'm through with those for a while. My PCP just put me on florinef though so hope I don't get those headaches that everyone has talked about!

JJH