My Body Doesn't Seem To Know How To Keep Warm/cold

Tammy

Okay, so now that the weather is starting to get cooler, I'm back to trying to keep warm rather than trying to keep cool. Any suggestions on what to do if you are out and about and you can't warm up but you can't get home to sit in front of the heater or wrap up in an electric blanket? I went to the store with my husband for a little out and just from walking from the car into the store, I was freezing and felt very yuck-o! We had to get a few things so it took about 5-10 minutes which is a very long time for me to be upright/walking, so along with being cold I was pushing pretty hard my limits. So anyway, we get back in the van and I'm still frozen, to the point where my hands are slightly tinted blue and I can't feelt my bottom half of my legs or feet. It's only 57 degrees, so I feel like I shouldn't be getting this cold already. I have a seat warmer that we need to put back into the van so that sometimes helps, but I miss my body knowing how to keep itself temperature regulated! I feel like such a wimp!

- Tammy

Hi Tammy,

you're not a wimp at all - this is all part of POTS! The autonomic nervous system controls all the things that in a healthy person just happen automatically, this includes temperature regulation / tolerance.

I have just spent all summer camped out in front of my air conditioning unit and with fans going in every room to try to keep me cool. Even wearing very thin cotton shirts at work I was absolutly melting. Now I am running fan heaters and wearing thick jumpers, blankets and bed socks but still seem to feel cold at home. My feet are the worst part - if I let them touch any other part of my body I get a shock from how cold they are.

Work is still too hot though - summer clothes for work and cold weather climbing gear for at home!

Flop

Yeah, I can be much the same way. But, normally I am too hot. But, if it is bone chilling old or it gets to my joints then I can't stand the cold and start to shut down. It is just part of it. So, its kinda like having hot flashes etc. at 23! :o

But, good news school is actually cooperating (somewhat) and working to make the heat not quite as unbearable at school! :P

Still not ready for winter though! ;)

My body is the same way! In the summer i am unbearably warm, and now im always freezing. My hands are so cold its quite gross actually i feel...

But i would rather be cold than too warm, i handle the cold pretty well too, its kinda a mind over matter thing, and if i concentrate hard enough i actually wont be as cold, i just have to relax.

But yes like earlier posts have said, its just because our ANS system cant regulate our body temp like a normal person's would.

Good luck on keeping warm! ;)

Guest tearose

Yes! You are not alone!

Can I remember what the winter formula that works is?

I too say...layers, layers, layers...

Of pure merino wool undershirts and merino wool socks...

Look into these garments at outdoor type stores like ems or rei...

Make sure they are good quality merino wool or you risk being itchy.

I hate itchy so I do not skimp on good quality.

Once you have a warm "core" you will be able to layer on top and remove as needed!

Funny, we all need to remember what we did last year and then we are good to go.

(we do the same with cooling garments in the early summer)

tearose

Tammy,

I know what you mean about tonight. I can out of a meeting tonight at 9 p.m. and I think I could see my breath already! My hands and feet are always cold. I have a hard time turning on our touch lamp in the bedroom I think because my hands are too cold. I'll touch it 4 times and nothing, my husband touches it once and right away it comes on! Do you find that one hand is usually colder than the other? My right hand seems colder right now.

The other thing that no one has mentioned yet is something I just found out about. I don't know what you call it but they sell it for hunters. It's like a little gel pack that you just bend it and mush it and it turns hot and stays warm for quite awhile. Then you bring it home, it kind of gets firm again and I beleive you boil it or something and then next time you want to use it you just bend and mush it again. It's weird but cool!

JJH - should that be weird but warm?? lol

When it is really cold I wear thermal undergarments. I got mine from an outdoor shop (in sale at the end of the ski season), and they are basically long leggings and a long sleeved crew necked top made from ultra-soft fabric. It is specially designed to trap warm air but wick perspiration away from the body to keep you warm and dry. I can't tolerate wool directly next to my skin, so these ski garments are perfect as an under-layer.

Flop

Hi Flop,

O.k., I guess the brain thing again. I had to read your lol thing like 5 times before I got it- ugh!

JJH

We are just coming out of winter here and I just want to say when I take my midorine I actually feel the circulation coming back into my hands and feet. It was like ohhh a revelation like this is what NORMAL people feel like. As soon as it wears off I feel really cold. Cannot live without my electric blanket and wheat packs. I have burnt my leg on the heater and not felt it. At work if I cannot keep warm I make hot chocolate which helps abit. Sorry not much help but I do sympathise!

I am cold most of the time. I am a banker so all year long I wear a suit jacket. I have a heater in my office. I sleep with a heating pad to keep warm. I overdress for most people but long ago I stopped worrying about whether it looked appropriate or not. All I worry about is am I warm.

mary

Mary, when I've done jobs that needed me to wear a suit I always made sure that I bought my winter jackets a size too large so that I could fit multiple layers underneath it. I think my record was a cotton camisole, long sleeved thermal vest, poloneck jumper and a blouse, topped off with the jacket of course. I'm sure that people thought I had slighty odd taste in fashion but it was smart and tidy, if not trendy. I also used to wear trouser suits and then I could wear my compression stockings, plus knee length thick socks and hide it all by wearing ankle boots!

You could usually guarantee that on the days when I had wrapped up the warmest that I would get sent somewhere other than my usual office (like to a meeting at another building) where the thermostat would be turned way up high. I used to have a large workbag so that I could go to the bathroom and take off layers of clothes and hide them in my bag!

As Baden-Powell said "Be Prepared"

Flop

Tammy you are not a wimp! 57 degrees is COLD. I take a cup of tea with me and hold the cup to warm my hands.

Fill a sock with rice(uncooked of course) and put it in the microwave for about a minute and it stays toasty warm for half an hour ;)

Always have gloves in all my coat pockets. Always wear socks to bed.

The best is "Therma-Care" therapeutic heat wraps for back pain. They stay warm for 8 hours! I bought it for a back ache, didn't help my back, but it felt so good for so long! :):D