Severe Headache--question

smatuszak

I'm sitting here again unable to sleep with a wicked headache. Most likely a migraine with no aura. I seem to get these once every 6 to 8 weeks. Most times I can treat them at home with vicodin, composine, dilaudid and lots of propel. Last time I had one, I tried to handle it a home. When it reached the 54th hour--I was so exhausted, so to the er we went. They gave me the same meds through IV with fluids and within ten minutes it was mostly gone--and didn't return.

I get so frustrated. I have a headache to some degree all the time. My neuro wanted me to try imitrex, but It didn't seem to work because I never knew when the normal headache would turn into a long-lasting migraine. Does anyone have the same problem? Any suggestione? Thanks.

Sue--pacer412

I had that exact same problem. My migraine lasted for about 6 months straight, it would get better at times, but it was always there! None of the migraine medicines worked...not the preventatives or for acute problems. Once I was finally diagnosed with POTS, and started my treatment plan the migraine when to a constant headache. I was then put on medicines for my POTS symptoms that made the headache go away. I still usually get a migraine 2-3 times a week, but I have learned to deal with that. One thing for me is to put something cold on my neck, that helps with the blood vessels issues, and usually makes my head stop spinning at least. I also drink Gatorade, as that has more sodium that propel. And then I eat something salty. And I try not to lay down as in the long run that is bad for me, so I pretty much just suck it up and go on with my day, and no I'm not going to lie to you, that is very hard!!!!! But really it is what has to be done.

I hope your feeling better soon!!! Lots of love,

Mary

Hi!

Are you on any preventatives like beta blockers? That is what helped me the most! Also, as far as triptans like Imitrex, I was reluctant but gave them a try, they are not a cure all, but have helped. I don't use it often. As far as how to tell... I had the same problem. What I started to tell myself was if I started to get a headache first make sure I hadn't forgotten any meds, then make sure I was well hydrated (often my problem), make sure that I am not too warm, make sure I have eaten enough, then if I still have it try motrin/ibuprofen. If that doesn't work then try the triptans.

Also, if I noticed that I was sensitive to light/noise, nausous, etc. I would just decide I was that far along and it was likely a migraine and would try to take something. I have gotten to the point that I only need one every couple of months!

Hope that helps! :P

I haven't tried beta-blockers yet. My husband thinks that because my blood pressure is on the low side it wouldn't ge a great idea, I will talk with my doc.

I ended up in the er twice on Wednesday. In the morn. they gave me fluid, dilaudid and composine. Stayed for less than an hour. Went home, fell asleep, woke up two hours later and the headache was strong again. Went back to the er, they gave me more dilaudid and composine--that seemed to work. Haven't felt that great since, but al least no strong headache.

I must be a baby because I can't take that severe pain. When the vomiting starts and the head is throbbing--I just can't do it. My doc says that there is no sense in anybody being in that much pain.

I will be starting on florinof next week. My husband had shoulder surgery yesterday, so I'll wait till he's feeling better. I am hoping that this will help with saying goodbye to the severe headaches and I can stop taking the vicodin. I guess I just don't understand--with having a headache all of the time for two and a half years I take the vicodin so that the headache won't get severe. Is that possible??? Can vicodin do that?? Am I waiting too long to take the vicodin then the headache gets too bad? How is someone suppose to predict if it's going to get severe? Oh, how much fun life can be, right?

I will talk with my doc about the beta blockers and she what she has to say.

Sue--pacer412

Hi Sue,

Vicodin or dihydrocodeinone/hydrocodone aren't available in the UK on prescription. However I have googled a bit and found that Vicodin is hydrocodone (dihydrocodeinone) plus paracetamol (acetaminophen). It seems to be a partially-synthetic version of the popular UK painkiller Co-codamol (paracetamol + codeine) or paracetamol + dihydrocodeine.

Have you ever read about "rebound headaches"? This is a severe form of daily headache that is actually propagated by taking pain-killers, it can be caused by almost any pain killer if taken on a regular / frequent basis.

From what I have just read on a quick web search it seems that many patients may have migrane / cluster headaches but also have rebound headaches as a result of the treatment for the original headache. The article advised against suddenly stopping any regular pain-killers but advised working with a neurologist to treat the headaches. It seemed to suggest that using preventative medications (such as beta-blockers) were an important part of weaning off the pain-killers and could result in much better relief from daily headaches.

I hope that your doctor is able to help you find a solution to the headaches.

Flop

Hi Flop,

Thanks for the info and for your time. My neuro and I stopped the pains meds for a period of 6 weeks, thinking that it could be a rebound effect. Unfourtunately, that was not the case. There wasn't any change in the constant headaches or the occasional severe ones. There doesn't seem to be any patterns. The only things that I have noticed are the increased fluids (propel), and being well rested. They really seem to help. Just don't know why the severe ones come. The times when I think they will come--more stressful periods--I'm fine. Go figure.

Enjoy your evening. Thanks,

Sue

Hi!

I saw that you drink Propel. Likely it has nothing to do with anything esp. since you said that it helps. But, Propel along with many other things have artificial sweeteners, that are notorious for causing/increasing migraine symptoms. It has always been one of my bigger triggers. So, I thought I would mention it... Have you looked into eliminating other possible dietary and environmental triggers? You can google migraines to find the most likely triggers and what to avoid. Also, are you on any meds that are likely to cause migraines?

Also, for migraines in general have you looked into the connection of TMJ issues and migraines, along with if you have a tight neck etc. from tension , work to loosen it up. These were also all things my dr. worked with me on.

Good Luck!

Hi Sue,

sorry to hear that you have already tried stopping pain meds without any relief - I guess your neuro has already tried most of the standard approaches to treating your headaches. Sorry I haven't any other ideas but I do hope that you find some relief soon,

Flop